Recommend me a CIEM
Oct 12, 2020 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

leadenears

New Head-Fier
I'm old, I was never a golden ear, but there are some typical age related deficiencies as well. The ears aren't perfect. Nevertheless I do appreciate high quality sound. I've owned a couple of IEMs before. I had a set of AlienEars about 10 years ago. I was hard on them and kept breaking the acrylic. I bought Sensaphonics after that, hoping for better sound isolation. Their silicon material did deliver that, but it was a shyte product and company overall, and at the end of the day, I like acrylic better than silicone It was a nice idea that didn't deliver.

I was toying with the idea of getting the UERR (knowing it might be overkill), and a friend recommended the Jerry Harvey JH13 Pro-v2. It's a little more money, and probably a little more overkill. But looking for some additional perspectives.

Nearly all of my listening is on a mobile. A fair bit in less than pristine environments (on a plane, in car, etc.). And some is on a motorcycle where ambient is really loud. I do understand that the benefits of high quality gear are lost as ambient noise goes up. But I'm wondering basically... is the UERR or JH13 just a waste of money? Would you recommend something else?

Thanks in advance for any opinions you have to offer.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I saw 1 month back very nice discount on UERR on drop.com it is shame for you. UERR sure will be good option.

Price around $1k for near top sound is still a lot but in the end it is achievable for many I think. It seems like you want neutral nautral balance sound. Many options according to Crinacle ThieAudio Monarch/Clairvoyance, Hidition Viento B...
But it could be for you harder to get than Ultimate Ears.

If it can be even universal popular Moondrop Blessing 2 maybe can be best bet for price, according to some impressions not hard drive, maybe it can be order as custom as well. I guess on black friday could be also universal Andromeda 2020 b stock with nice discount.

But as you wrote that you will be using mainly with mobile, choose can be a little tricky. But I am as you, I want use iem also mainly with mobile.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm old, I was never a golden ear, but there are some typical age related deficiencies as well. The ears aren't perfect. Nevertheless I do appreciate high quality sound. I've owned a couple of IEMs before. I had a set of AlienEars about 10 years ago. I was hard on them and kept breaking the acrylic. I bought Sensaphonics after that, hoping for better sound isolation. Their silicon material did deliver that, but it was a shyte product and company overall, and at the end of the day, I like acrylic better than silicone It was a nice idea that didn't deliver.

I was toying with the idea of getting the UERR (knowing it might be overkill), and a friend recommended the Jerry Harvey JH13 Pro-v2. It's a little more money, and probably a little more overkill. But looking for some additional perspectives.

Nearly all of my listening is on a mobile. A fair bit in less than pristine environments (on a plane, in car, etc.). And some is on a motorcycle where ambient is really loud. I do understand that the benefits of high quality gear are lost as ambient noise goes up. But I'm wondering basically... is the UERR or JH13 just a waste of money? Would you recommend something else?

Thanks in advance for any opinions you have to offer.
Between the UERR and the JH13v2, I would recommend the UERR, as it is a reference product, HOWEVER, what kind of sound signature are you looking for? Are there any specific hearing deficiencies to overcome? Do you want a reference sound? What are you favorite genres of music? There are more affordable CIEM options out there, if you‘re determined to get a CIEM.

The UE IEMs, when available on Drop from time to time lately, have been UIEMs, not CIEMs, though they have been a good deal.

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 4
I just recently purchased the Jerry Harvey JH11Pros and I’m very happy with them. I too went back and forth between JH Audio and UE. In the end I chose JH Audio as I felt they had a better product and could build them as I wanted.

They sound great and fit great for my use. I have not listened to others so I don’t have anything to compare them with.

I went with CIEM as my tinnitus has gotten worse and I wanted something I could enjoy at lower volumes with clarity.

Happy to answer any questions if I’m able.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back