Recommend me a 12AX7 tube for a MAD Ear+ and a HP2
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Kalidor

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a 12AX7 that will bring a more mellow and warm presentation of vocals on the HP2 when run from the MAD Ear+.

Anyone's got any recommendations??

THanks

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked both GE and RCA tubes with my Grados.

Have you tried using a 5751 tube and 12AT7?

Guys, thanks so much for the info...

panda... I have not got the budget for a better amp, so it'll be this for a while...

kitaoji.. i'm a total noob with tubes... can i use a 5751 in place of the 12AX7? and what is a 12AT7? will it fit in place of the 12 AX7?

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a better amp.

Very constructive advice! You should be proud.

To the OP: I always liked the 5751 variants much more than the 12ax7. Some of the american NOS though can be pricey. I liked the sylvania gold brand 5751's, they come in black and grey plates.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm looking for a 12AX7 that will bring a more mellow and warm presentation of vocals on the HP2 when run from the MAD Ear+.

Anyone's got any recommendations??

THanks

What 12AX7 do you have now?

I would usually say Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plate, but it's quite neutral, so if you are looking for more mellowness and warmth, RCA 5751 triple mica black plates would be more in line...

For less expensive "new" production 12AX7 that are good yet warm, the TungSol "reissue" 12AX7 is a nice one.

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 23
A 12AX7 is a dual triode tube, and some -- not ALL -- variants of the 12A*7 family can be used in the same position as it is in right now. (I assume that your Ear+ has two 12BH4s and and a 12AX7.)

Your best (and safest) bet is to e-mail Dr. Peppard which tube (series) you'd like to use. When I e-mailed him he said that 'as long as the heater current for the tube is less than 0.3A' it should be OK. Other than the 12AX7 and 5751 though, he doesn't really recommend other tube series.

The 12A*7 series all vary upon the [volume] gain produced. The 12AX7 has the highest gain of 100mu; simply speaking, using a 5751 which has a gain of 70mu lets you turn up the volume pot a bit more, and as I view it, fine tune the volume better.

I haven't found many 12AT7 tubes (and 12AU7s produce a very dull sound), but I think 5751s as recstar24 put it sound very nice. You don't have to get full NOS tubes; I find that pre-owned USA-made 12AX7s from tubedepot.com are well worth their price, and a Sylvania 5751 (a reasonably cheap one) that shows up on eBay a lot is a good introduction.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 23
Well, I had 12AU7 AMP before, and yes, a lot of them are just nothing but NOTHING, however really surprising me that nobody have mentioned Mullards, Telefunkens, Brimars, Philips, Siemens, Valvo, JJ Tesla, Amperex Holland made so far, how older>the better. In general look at NOS, means New Old Stock, so you have to find one you like it at most. Once again, I am coming from 12AU7=ECC82 tubes, so here is the link, which is pretty informatief

https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm

Personaly, I found Telefunkens and Mullards are the best, using with Grado's, however you may have different taste. Most of these arent cheap, especially Amperex. Also be careful with fake Chinese Telefunkens, so you may check this link as well
12AX7 Tubes in Stock

12AX7 / ECC83 / 7025 / CV4004 Tube Types

About the Amperex. These are pretty common on Ebay, but the thing is, they do not match every amp. Once I bought Amperex 7316, which seems to be one of the best around, but after I tried them, I went back to Telefunkens pretty fast. The presentation wasnt right, so before you spend a lot of money, read some info first. You can always send an e-mail to those who selling them and ask which amp they have use these, or ask the Dr.Lloyd, the maker of your amp, which 12AX7 you may use to get the best results.

Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design
For more information or to place an order, please telephone or email Lloyd Peppard at
(613) 387-3830
info@mapletreeaudio.com

Good luck to you and I do hope you have some budget
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 23
If you want a very clear, solid, dynamic, punchy sound with great bass, mids and highs - the Tung Sol 12AX7s are some of the best at reasonable prices.

I use them in my Cal Audio Tube DACs - there's nothing better in those.

They get very good reviews.

Just don't buy them from Musician's Friend, or Music 123 - sometimes they don't package them properly.

Of course... I'm sure some of these "mega-buck" NOS tubes are great - but, whose going to spend that kind of money on a perishable item? Might as well set fire to a few hundred dollar bills. That's not my style.

See the MAD EAR+ HD threads - a lot of owners really like the RCA Blackplate 5751s. And... the lower gain, may provide less noise, if any.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 23
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm using a Mullard currently, think its the ECC83... or are they all ECC83???

Maybe I should drop a mail to Dr. Peppard and ask for his advice.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 23
well ive heard the amp with hp2 and it really is an unjustice to such great headphones. negativity aside, i liked amperex bugle boy tubes.

the tungsol's were nice with senn fones, but i didnt like them with grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back