Recommend me a 12AX7 tube for a MAD Ear+ and a HP2
Mar 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #16 of 23
Mar 10, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a very clear, solid, dynamic, punchy sound with great bass, mids and highs - the Tung Sol 12AX7s are some of the best at reasonable prices.

I use them in my Cal Audio Tube DACs - there's nothing better in those.

They get very good reviews.

Just don't buy them from Musician's Friend, or Music 123 - sometimes they don't package them properly.

Of course... I'm sure some of these "mega-buck" NOS tubes are great - but, whose going to spend that kind of money on a perishable item? Might as well set fire to a few hundred dollar bills. That's not my style.

See the MAD EAR+ HD threads - a lot of owners really like the RCA Blackplate 5751s. And... the lower gain, may provide less noise, if any.

Are the Tung Sols US or Russian?

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sylvania 7025 is a reasonably priced alternative and it sounds wonderful!

Yes, I'd like to get a 7025 but can't seem to find one listed anywhere. any suggestions???

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Tung Sols US or Russian?

I really don't know...

You can check with Tube Depot, or the Tube Store, or several other vendors - they're pretty easy to find, and they're not expensive.

Also... the Sovtek LPS12AX7 is also reported to be a great tube. Check with the same vendors.

Do a search on this forum for the MAD threads... and you'll find lots of discussions about good tubes for them - many being "Mrarroyo's posts." Most are focused around 5751s, which have less gain than the 12AX7s, and may make the amp quieter. Though, I've never heard of a MAD amp producing much noise with any tubes.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't know...

You can check with Tube Depot, or the Tube Store, or several other vendors - they're pretty easy to find, and they're not expensive.

Also... the Sovtek LPS12AX7 is also reported to be a great tube. Check with the same vendors.

Do a search on this forum for the MAD threads... and you'll find lots of discussions about good tubes for them - many being "Mrarroyo's posts." Most are focused around 5751s, which have less gain than the 12AX7s, and may make the amp quieter. Though, I've never heard of a MAD amp producing much noise with any tubes.

The new 'Sols are whereas the older ones are US made and have been reported to be quite a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back