Recommend IEM ~$100 mark. Please. Durability is important.
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gillyske

New Head-Fier
Hello there everyone,

I don't have too much experience with IEM's. I've owned cx300, UE150 and UE200 and RE0's.

Now I love the RE0's so much that I've owned 3 pairs. However now i am fed up with them because their build quality is so bad. 3 in the space of a year is just too much hassle... So yeah, as you might have guessed the 3rd pair is broken, right ear piece has stopped producing sound (yay...). 

I am after a more durable set of IEM's, I usually store them by wrapping them around my phone and shoving them in my pocket. Admittedly this isn't the most ideal method of storage, but they have to work for me! not me for them 
tongue.gif

I listen to indie-folk, punk, hardcore punk, post-hardcore... blah blah blah (really just hooked on Bright Eyes atm). So bass isn't my priority, that's why I love the detail and clarity the RE0's gave me. Recently been listening to a little bit of hip-hop, but I was more than pleased by the accurate bass the RE0 gave me, even though its presence was a little subtle, I don't mind because its not my main genre.

ANYWAY. I'm not sure what I'm after.... just something thats better built than the RE0 and will compliment the types of music i listen to.... yeah thats it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 12
Ety HF2/3/5 would be good. Built quality is excellent on these. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 12
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Is there a reason why the HF3 is more expensive than the HF5 besides it having a mic and controls? I do not want any of that stuff? So will the HF5 be the best bet?

Are there any other recommendations out there? I've heard things about the JVC HA-FXT90 and the brainwavz B2. But they are around $30 more... is it worth it?

Also shure se-215 or HF5?
ALSO i noticed that amazon was doing triple fi's for $169..... is it worth it? are they known for being durable... or... gah. so many questions sorry.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 12
Yes, it's just the added mics and extra fancy stuffs on the cable itself that increases the price. I usually recommend not getting the mic or controls unless it is absolutely necessary because it is just one more place where defects can happen.

I did a review a short while back on HF5s and Tf10s here

Technically speaking I thought teh HF5s were on par if not slightly better than the TF10s but TF10s does have a better fun factor to them and music can sound a bit lifeless on the Etys. Both are exceptional choices and it depends on the type of sound signature you are looking for. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Is there a reason why the HF3 is more expensive than the HF5 besides it having a mic and controls? I do not want any of that stuff? So will the HF5 be the best bet?

Are there any other recommendations out there? I've heard things about the JVC HA-FXT90 and the brainwavz B2. But they are around $30 more... is it worth it?

Also shure se-215 or HF5?
ALSO i noticed that amazon was doing triple fi's for $169..... is it worth it? are they known for being durable... or... gah. so many questions sorry.

I also think the HF5 should be a great option for the genres you listen to. I currently own the FXT90 and I think you may find the bass to be a little too much, although it's not a basshead IEM by any means. 

If you are interested in the TF10, many people are currently selling them either brand new or practically brand new for around $100 after the Amazon Black Friday sale. They are quite durable but the fit issue may cause some problems. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 12
according to your review the HF5 is better for my purposes. I often listen to very fast paced music which has little to no bass. Or slow acousitc with yet again no bass, pretty much all mids and highs.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 12
Sounds like the HF5s will suite you well :)

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 12
Yes in over all sound quality the HF5 is better than the RE0 and it is much better at noise isolating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back