Recommend headphone for my 13yr old daughter
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Robin W.

Member of the Trade: RW Audio
Given her age and what she see's (friends have)  Beats are what she points to.  I'd rather get her a headphone that sounds good but as a byproduct also looks good.  She listens to mainstream stuff, her age group seems to have a fascination with One Direction, but mainly pop/top 40 style music at the moment but tends to change quickly.

Should be somewhat rugged to hold up to the use of a teenager, 3.5mm plug of course.  Easy to drive from an ipod/iphone, she may enjoy an amp but may not want to deal with charging/carrying another piece at the moment.

She likes my MS1's and AKG K240 Monitors, but I don't think she has the personality to rock those in public.

Budget up to around $200

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 19
AKG K550 are pretty attractive headphones IMO. Might need an amp though.

V-Moda Crossfade LP or M-80 would both be a good choice and don't need an amp as far as I know. 

Sennheiser HD-25 or Amperior are good choices in this range as well, maybe a little ugly though. 

Beyerdynamic DT-1350 looks more attractive than the Sennheisers. 

Yamaha PRO 300 look almost exactly like Beats but are supposed to have better sound quality.

There are a lot of IEMs that would be a good choice, but I'm not that familiar with that type of headphone. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 19
Hi,

I think you should consider Philips Fidelio M1. Most confortable on ears I've tried so far, its built quality is very good and they isolate really well. Its sound signature is warm and dark and tend to pair well with modern or/and over bright compressed recordings. Finally they are pretty small compared with full size headphones, I think this is a good thing in this case.

Best Luck!

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 19
Considering her age I'd go for something rock solid like an Audio Technica M50.

Your daughter might be fantastic at looking after her own stuff, but accidents are to be expected, and these are capable of taking quite a lot of abuse.
The M50's somewhat resemble the aesthetics of beats headphones, so she should feel very comfortable wearing them outdoors. Fortunately, they don't resemble the sonic qualities of beats. 

Also they're available in white or red, not just the black. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 19
JVC HA-S500, folding, on-ear headphones, $60.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 19
  Given her age and what she see's (friends have)  Beats are what she points to.  I'd rather get her a headphone that sounds good but as a byproduct also looks good.  She listens to mainstream stuff, her age group seems to have a fascination with One Direction, but mainly pop/top 40 style music at the moment but tends to change quickly.

Should be somewhat rugged to hold up to the use of a teenager, 3.5mm plug of course.  Easy to drive from an ipod/iphone, she may enjoy an amp but may not want to deal with charging/carrying another piece at the moment.

She likes my MS1's and AKG K240 Monitors, but I don't think she has the personality to rock those in public.

Budget up to around $200

I have two daughters that are now grown.

Get her what she wants, period.

You trying to think this through by getting her something else is a huge mistake.  Headphone quality and this discussion thread have nothing to do with it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for all the great input everyone, that gives me a few models to look closer at!
Short list:
DT-1350
Fidelio M1
Sony MDR-1R
M50 Red

I'd probably pick the DT-1350, however these aren't for me so I'll have to give the others a hard look.

Quote:

I have two daughters that are now grown.

Get her what she wants, period.

You trying to think this through by getting her something else is a huge mistake.  Headphone quality and this discussion thread have nothing to do with it.

Ohh don't worry, I asked early on and she doesn't actually want Beats, she wants portable size headphones she can wear out.  Beats were simply the size reference she was able to give, IE she doesn't want something the size of my K240's and the MS1's are "ugly".

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 19
There is the audio technica bijou line with all of the fashion tidbits all over, along with other AT fashionable 'phones.

Now with that aside, I noticed that swivel earcups seem to be a trendy craze, especially since your daughter wants something portable.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 19
I picked up the DT 1350's on sale from a Canadian Vendor.  Stores here are just getting on the black friday/cyber monday bandwagon which is nice as the exchange rate isn't as favourable these days.  I'll post after xmas if she likes them or not.

Thanks for all the recommendations it gave me a great starting place to look at each of them closer.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 19
  I picked up the DT 1350's on sale from a Canadian Vendor.  Stores here are just getting on the black friday/cyber monday bandwagon which is nice as the exchange rate isn't as favourable these days.  I'll post after xmas if she likes them or not.

Thanks for all the recommendations it gave me a great starting place to look at each of them closer.

Great Pick!

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 19

Very awesome! Glad that we could help! Hope she enjoys them :D nothing better than starting hear out with a beyer ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back