Recommend DAC and Amp for Senn HD 600s
Sep 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ModalRealist

New Head-Fier
Salutations,

I'm a classical composer who has recently got into mocking up with orchestral samples, and I've been finding my Creative Aurvana Lives (which have served me well for listening purposes) to be a bit "muddy" when trying to pick out detail during works-in-progress. For that reason (and because I love sound anyway) I'm planning on upgrading to Sennheiser HD 600s, which I have been told are good for classical music and one of the better headphones for mixing on (I can't use monitor speakers in my current living arrangements). The question that now arises is: how to feed the Senn's?

I've done some research, and the cheapest DAC+Amp which sees a lot of recommendations seems to be the Schiit Audio Modi + Magni. They are also available domestically in the UK for £200. (Which beats the ODAC+O2 combo that I would need to import.) I've read that an M&M stack will drive 600s fairly well.

However, a major point of the 600s for me is their reasonably neutral response (for mixing purposes). Would an M&M stack preserve that neutral character? If not, what would you recommend?

I would like to keep the budget as low as I can, but I'm prepared to pay more if it will really make a difference. I've also seen recommendations for Schiit Valhalla and the Slee Solo SSGII, but they are an awful lot more expensive and I'd still need a DAC on top of their prices.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cheers,

Alex

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 3
You might consider asking your Senn HD600 questions on this dedicated HD600 thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-appreciation-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back