Recommend an IEM to accompany my Senn HD 518...
Jun 11, 2013 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SKisaGooner

New Head-Fier
I own the HD 518. I'm pleased with it, but obviously I won't be bringing it around. It's a pair of headphones I use only at home. My prized possession.

So now I'm looking to invest in a pair of IEM's that I can bring around with me, whereever I go. Perhaps something I can put in my pocket at all times. While the 518 is full sized and open, I want the IEM to be portable and sealed.

Here's a list of requirements for my IEM:

1) Budget: Has to be a class lower than my 518. I don't intend to replace the 518 with my IEM. Sub $100.

2) Sound: I want the sound to be something the 518 can't provide. Perhaps something a bit more colourful. But the bass must be decent, and the sound has to be relatively fun.

3) Build: HAS to be sturdy. I'm going to bring it around everywhere so the build quality has to be good. Bonus if it comes with a hardcase!

4) L/R markings: The most annoying thing about IEM's (besides tangling) is when you don't know which one is L and which is R. It needs to have some form of L/R marking that is easy to spot, and will last. Either that, or it should be designed so that it's impossible to wear the L side on your right ear and vice versa (like the EarPods).

5) Isolation: Above average isolation will do. I want to experience the 'closed' sound, something my 518 can't provide. If it can also function somewhat like an earplug, that'd be great.

I used to have a brand preference of UE and Senn, but now I'm open to any brands as long as it fits my bill.

I have referred to the famous Multi-IEM Review many many times, but I still can't seem pinpoint any models that will suit me.

Please Head-Fi, guide me!

EDIT: Things that will rule out the IEM:
1) Analytical sound
2) Problems with L/R marking
3) Mediocre/below average isolation
4) More expensive than the HD 518

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I own the HD 518. I'm pleased with it, but obviously I won't be bringing it around. It's a pair of headphones I use only at home. My prized possession.

So now I'm looking to invest in a pair of IEM's that I can bring around with me, whereever I go. Perhaps something I can put in my pocket at all times. While the 518 is full sized and open, I want the IEM to be portable and sealed.

Here's a list of requirements for my IEM:

I used to have a brand preference of UE and Senn, but now I'm open to any brands as long as it fits my bill.

I have referred to the famous Multi-IEM Review many many times, but I still can't seem pinpoint any models that will suit me.

Please Head-Fi, guide me!

Perhaps SE215? 
It has colored sound, especially in the mids, and has good amount of bass.
It's also almost indestructible.
It is also impossible to put the left ear piece in you right ear and vice versa.
It has one of the best isolation that an iem can provide.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the Shure recommendation. I would have overlooked it if it wasn't for you.

I've roughly narrowed down the list to 3 IEM's, simply after reading the Multi-IEM Review:

1) Fischer Audio Eterna (looks the best design wise)
2) VSonic GR06 (most promising)
3) Shure SE215 (better build and isolation ratings, but more expensive)

I'm still looking to add to this list, since they are only based on one review source. So please keep the recommendations coming!

I also have a small concern, all of these IEM's must be worn over-the-ear. Coincidence that I can't find one that would fit my bill that can be worn straight down or over the ear, just shows the ignorance of manufacturers on the importance of L/R markings. I know that this sort of wearing style reduces microphonics, you also can't wear these wrongly (which solves the L/R marking problem).

But will it be an issue to not be able to wear these IEM's straight down?

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the Shure recommendation. I would have overlooked it if it wasn't for you.

I've roughly narrowed down the list to 3 IEM's, simply after reading the Multi-IEM Review:

1) Fischer Audio Eterna (looks the best design wise)
2) VSonic GR06 (most promising)
3) Shure SE215 (better build and isolation ratings, but more expensive)

I'm still looking to add to this list, since they are only based on one review source. So please keep the recommendations coming!

I also have a small concern, all of these IEM's must be worn over-the-ear. Coincidence that I can't find one that would fit my bill that can be worn straight down or over the ear, just shows the ignorance of manufacturers on the importance of L/R markings. I know that this sort of wearing style reduces microphonics, you also can't wear these wrongly (which solves the L/R marking problem).

But will it be an issue to not be able to wear these IEM's straight down?

It would be a bit of a problem to wear them down. Once you get used to it, I think you will like the over ear design. It stays on much better and is more comfortable.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Adding the Hippo VB and the Consonance to my shortlist. Not making any decisions yet, still keeping my options open until I can test them out. I've tested the Consonance before and it's very impressive. The etched L/R markings that's a little hard to spot might be a little niggle though. But hard case provided!

As for the Eterna, I'm reading about some cable memory issue that will require cable guides when wearing over ear. At least with the Consonance I can wear them straight down or over ear.

I'll be tending towards Fischer Audio since I'm keen on their design. Eterna or Consonance will depend on their SQ and isolation, because they both have their pros and cons.

I'm also determined to try out the GR06, I hope it won't be so impressive so I can make decision more easily!

As for the Shure it's really on the high end, so it has to really impress me in every way for me to consider it.

The Hippo VB is an interesting one. The tunable bass thing is actually quite a turn off, I don't want to be paying for something like that. But I'll most likely be buying from a Jaben store and no harm checking it out.

Shortlist:
1) Fischer Audio Eterna (2C13)
2) VSonic GR06 (2C51)
3) Shure SE215 (2C41)
4) Hippo VB (2C12)
5) Fischer Audio Consonance (2C43)

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 6
It is said that NS400 by Nocs is one of the best options out there (under 100)

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back