Recommend an amp for a bass head with a hippo biscuit and UE SF5pros <$100
May 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CloudSurfer

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I would appreciate it if you could recommend me a portable amp. I have recently purchased a hippo biscuit, and I am kind of a noob in the audiophile world. My budget is under $100, and I was thinking the fiio e07k, but I am unsure of the DAC compatability with the biscuit.

Some info:
Headphones: UE SF5pro's and vmoda lp2's
Music genres: lot of rap, some edm
What I want: greater bass detail in the sf5pro's and more power into the lp2's
Price range: $0-$100

My next purchase is a reshell and extra bass drivers for the sf5pros if that changes anything.

May 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 3
I am posting to add a bit more info to what I have and what I am looking for. My LP2's with an ipod shuffle 3rd gen are the reference for my sound needs. A junky reference, but I digress.

What I like about the UE SF5pros:
-A level of sound detail I have never really encountered with previous headphones. First headphones where I could really tell if a DAP or amp is absolute junk. After these headphones I immediately started looking for a new DAP, choosing the Hippo Biscuit for looks, obscurity (I am very vain), sound quality, build quality, and simplicity (I despise large screens on DAPs and lean towards simpler interfaces).
- Surprising amount of balance between the upper-lows, mids, and highs.
-Great ability to output ambience. I like being able to pick out the kind of recording room used on tracks.

What I don't like about the UE SF5pros:
-Underwhelming mid-lows. The bass is punchy and thick but it lacks warmth. I am not good at describing things that I am not the most informed in, but it sounds like the bass is robust in the louder portions, but the edges of the sound-wave is under-represented, making it a little harsher than I like.
-Lack of deep-bass. A bit of a bummer for me, but I am chalking it up to the poor fit of the UEIM for my ear. The rubber tips never do it for me, and when I do get the foam tips to fit, it ends up chewing them up a bit. I am likely going to slam through a bunch of them. A reshell is definitely in the future for these guys. I am opposed to just buying a new set, I got these out of luck and as a college student my income is low but consistent. I can spend, but just in installments.

What I *think* I am looking for:
-Dynamic bass level output, to be able to find that "sweetspot" of good, warm, detailed bass, without overwhelming. I think an amp with full adjustment (like the E07k) or at least with a switch (like the E11 or A10) would work.
-I know it is incorrect, but I assume adding a DAC to a sound setup instantly makes it better. I do not know if the microusb on the hippo biscuit can be used this way, but I still keep my eye out for a DAC

I am leaning towards the E07K (for the DAC) or A10 (for the sound signature). This setup is meant to be rubber-banded together and worn in a lanyard style, so I am flexible on portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back