Recommend a USB sound card pls :)
Dec 20, 2006 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

phlite

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a USB soundcard for my headphones ( HD555 ). My preliminary research has pointed me in the direction of the Edirol UA-1EX. This really seems to suit my needs. Are there any other choices to consider?

I'm also thinking of using this soundcard on a laptop and output either RCA or optical to my receiver at home. With all of the input/outputs it really seems flexible. Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 19
I was in the same situation a couple days ago- had a laptop, wanted a good USB sound card. I checked out the Edirol, and for the price it was a pretty good card. The other three you may want to look at are:

EMU 0202 USB
EMU 0404 USB
M-Audio Audiophile USB

The 0202 you can get for around 100, the Audiophile I think around 140, and the 0404 around 170. Use Froogle to find the best prices. I haven't used any of them so I cant speak from experience, but I have heard good things about them all, including the Edirol. Search the forum for posts about them. Personally I wen't with the 0404 USB, I can tell you in a few days how it works out.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 19
The 0404 can't be beat for the price, but if you want a PC card source, the Echo Indigo is great.

May 22, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stereo-link 1400HD. best on the planet.

Also quite pricey.......o and it has no line in, just 2 channel line out with built in headphone amp.

Looks interesting but if it is so good why have I seen no posts at headfi about it before?

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 19
The M-Audio transit's amplifier is so-so, but the DAC is phenomenal. It has an optical out and with some relatively simple soldering can also do coax, if you're into DIY.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but the DAC is phenomenal. It has an optical out and with some relatively simple soldering can also do coax,....

Do you mean the digital out, rather than the DAC?

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean the digital out, rather than the DAC?

Nah the digital out is quite good, but the onboard DAC itself is also very impressive. I've had excellent results using the transit to drive my Gilmore Lite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back