Recommend a Receiver or alternate setup
Aug 2, 2007 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

burnhamd

New Head-Fier
First of all let me provide the things that will ultimately control my decision to buy. My budget it very limited at about $500. I need a new stereo receiver for my setup. I have two basic inputs : one coming from an airport express (toslink optical) and one coming from a sound card in my computer (simple analog sound). My speakers are JBL 4321A Control Monitors (yes very old) and possibly a subwoofer(if a receiver with a sub output is still cheap). Can someone recommend a receiver that is inexpensive, has a decent DAC, good headphone output, and is CHEAP? Or if it is better to break the system apart like getting a dedicated DAC or dedicated headphone amp, for similar price then please recommend the equipment. I listen about half and half with speakers and headphones. I was looking at the Harman Kardon hk3480 but it doesn't include a optical input, and most DACs cost in the $200 range (that I have looked at). I am also somewhat superficial and would like one that looks decent if possible. I am a very picky and limited person but hopefully there is a product out there for me.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 6
You have a lot of requirements, but $500 is a relatively large budget for a receiver. Also, since you require the unit to have digital inputs and a subwoofer output, you should be looking at receivers and not integrated amplifiers like the HK3480.

Most receivers have decent built-in DACs, but the headphone outputs are often poor. It helps to consider speakers and headphones as having two entirely separate requirements. The receiver is for your speakers, while you'll probably want a headphone amplifier for your headphones at some point. Until then, the headphone jack on the receiver will probably be at least passable.

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I've had good success with Harmon Kardon, they make a range of receivers most of which are within your price specification.

HK is generally well thought of as an upper end consumer product..

Take a look here and find something which fits your needs and budget..

Read the reviews and check out the pics to see if the aesthetics are right for you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

The AVR 247 has way more than you need but is not that badly priced, has a headphone output and Dolby Headphone for that too.

Don't buy it here but read the specs..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Receiver.html

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 6
TheVinylRipper;3168650 said:
HK is generally well thought of as an upper end consumer product..
QUOTE]

Sorry for off topic comment.. but i always thought HK was in the yamaha/denon/pioneer fare.. not the high end fare for recievers n such.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 6
I got an HK 145 refurb for $100 that sounds good as a speaker amp. Careful, the user interface is not "mature" which means they have not spent alot of time making it user friendly.

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 6
i ended up getting a sansui power amp that my uncle had in storage i believe its from the early 80's. Its nice and warm but I'm afraid its not nicely detailed. I still need a DAC to go along with it. Any Ideas? Source would still be from optical out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back