Recommend a Power Cord for a Skeptic
May 23, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
How flexible is the VH Flavor 1? I'm currently using LAT AC1's, while I like them they are too fragile (had one break already) and I really need something more flexible.

VH1 is not particularly flexible compared to stock cords b/c it uses low-strand-count 12AWG conductor per leg. But it is made very sturdy and can be bent in tight radiuses without breaking a sweat b/c it's thinner than most overpriced "audiophile" cords.

May 26, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 21
Count me as a skeptic also. I have built a few Crump cords, but I can't tell for sure whether they make any difference or not. Somewhere I read the opinion that if power cord really makes that much difference, then it points to faults in the component's power supply design. Dunno.

One thing that keeps me skeptical is noticing "FOTM" type manufacturers appear on AudioAsylum/Audiogon to rave reviews... then you start seeing their products pop up for sale in the used forums and not much further talk about them. David Elrod is one such in recent months.

I used to follow the Cable forum on AA for quite a bit of time, but decided that for my money, component upgrades was a better return with my somewhat lack of disposable income for audio gear at this time. To each their own...

Also, to a previous poster's recommendation, I have dealt with Dennis from Chimera Labs in the past (tubes) and he is a nice guy and reputable.

May 26, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 21
Pars,

I hear exactly what you are saying, but i believe Chris Venhaus and Dennis Boyle from Vh Audio and Chimera labs respectively, are an exception to what you said. There products receive rave reviews but are rarely on sale, and when they do i find out im too late because they've already been snagged up! It took me over a month and a half to find my pulsars, and when i bit on them right when i saw them there were already 10 people behind me, same thing with my flavor 1.

Oh yeah, the past two months i have been looking for chimera labs advantage series II IC's to pop up on sale, only recently did i see a pair for sale...i email the guy only to find out they were already sold, it was a couple of hours for jimminy's sake, i want my candy too you know...

May 26, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #19 of 21
“I am waiting on some special sample plugs and IEC connectors from Furutech. I expect to have the design finalized in about 3 to 4 weeks.”

Dennis Boyle
Chimera Laboratories

I’m getting one of his power cords and am really stoked to see if it makes a difference.

My working theory now is that the power cord does not “improve” the sound- what a good quality power cord does is “Not” strangle the power being supplied which allows the power supply to work as designed which allows the intended sound of the amplifier to emerge.

Mitch

May 26, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 21
Whoa, he's using furutech as his basic connections for his power cord, he does NOT skimp out at all does he? I cannot wait, i think im going to have to bite the bullet as well and do comparo with VH Audio while its still on 60 day MBG

May 26, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Please recommend a power cord in the $150 range (new or used). Best Bang for the Buck?

I’ve got an E.A.R. HP4 that I’d like to get a power cord for. I’m rather skeptical as to the audible merits of high-end power cords so hit me with a recommendation. This shouldn’t be a discussion on the pros or cons of high end power cords but a recommendation for ones that you think add to the system

My system consists of a NAIM CD5x – Chord Cobra 2 - E.A.R. HP4 – Grado HP2’s. NAIM recommends using the power cord that came with the CD player. The HP4 didn’t come with a power cord so it needs one, it’s currently using a computer power cord I had laying around.

I was considering building one myself but the high-end plug and jack can get awfully expensive- I saw a used power cord for less than the cost of the high-end plug and socket.

Thanks For Your Suggestions.

Mitch

I think a better comparison would be $150 power cord to another $150 power cord.

aside from that, I would guess that a $150 power cord will slaughter then small guage pc cord, just by the fact that there is more resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back