Recommend a Pen?
Oct 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there's a Pen-fi thread, but I think I might get a bit more responds if I post a dedicated thread. Basically our company needs to get some pens to be given as gifts for the team. Price range is around 100-150 bucks, but since I don't think many can appreciate a fountain pen, we decided to get a ballpoint or other 'normal' pen instead.

Anyone can recommend something good within that price range? And the pens might be engraved too so maybe this will limit the choice to something metal only. And it's good if the pen can be bought locally in Australia (not something too exotic). Thanks in advance guys.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Pens tend to be very personal, but I would not write with anything but a Parker Rollerball. Fountains are cool, but hardly practical and not suited for drawing, scribbling etc. (which is what I use pens for most of the time). I think the rollerball pen style has the best feel on paper.
What's on the outside, the body, thats even more personal. Thick or thin, plastic grip or all metal, expensive or cheap, stylish or ugly...you really should just shop around...I think frontiers are the nicest, but they're way below your price range and not very exclusive.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 11
Ballpoint, eh? Rollerball, maybe? Pity, fountain pens are out. Metal body.
Check out the pens at Swisher Pens | Fine Writing Instruments & Stationery | Fountain Pens, Ballpoint Pens, Rollerball Pens, Pencils, Stationery, Ink and Accessories
The Michael Fatboy is interesting and metal. Perhaps a bit too avant-garde?
Parker makes a sterling sliver ballpoint which is exquisite (but maybe too pricey). Waterman makes nice pens and probably has a metal series. Pelican makes great pens, too.

I must add that a Sailor fine point fountain pen is exquisite--I use mine daily.
A Japanese fine point is like an American extra fine point.
My all time favourite fountain pen is a Platinum Music fountain pen.

Sailor makes some wooden pens. Maybe one could get a wood burning kit and burn in the recipient's name.

Parker Sonnet Cisele Sterling Silver Rollerball Pen at Swisher = $165 US
The ball point version retails for $145 US. These are gorgeous. Classic design.

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pelican makes great pens, too.

Yes, I was going to recommend a Pelikan rollerball. You should be able to get a 400 in that price range, which is quite a nice pen. I love their classic striped green celluloid - distinctive and has been appreciated by many for 70 some years now.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 11
would disagree that fountains are not suitable for everyday use. Have many, and most are rotated on a daily basis, depending on my mood, which ink color I like for that day, etc.

But more to the point: would the recipient of the pen be as dedicated to the loading, filling, cartridge change, etc. as those of us who enjoy such things??

My wife thinks I'm sorta silly sometimes in my ink mixing, cleaning pens, etc. But to me, it's a pleasurable pasttime. You have to regard fountain pen ownership as such. So for your case perhaps something a little less maintenance would be in order

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Cross ballpoints are very reliable. I use one for writing checks and jotting down quick notes.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 11
In my experience no Pelikan or Montblanc rollerball beats an inexpensive Pilot V-ball. Waterman rollerballs are decent and usually have metal bodies where other brands use plastic.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience no Pelikan or Montblanc rollerball beats an inexpensive Pilot V-ball. Waterman rollerballs are decent and usually have metal bodies where other brands use plastic.

I generally agree with the above (especially the MB refills) but the one thing the expensive pens have is balance. The lighter disposable pens tire my hand out if I write for too long which doesn't happen with heavier pens.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I generally agree with the above (especially the MB refills) but the one thing the expensive pens have is balance. The lighter disposable pens tire my hand out if I write for too long which doesn't happen with heavier pens.

The nice thing is that Pilot/Namiki makes more expensive pen bodies that take their rollerball refills. The Pilot Knight line is a good value and has the weight you're looking for. It's a shame they don't have better distributorship in North America for their higher-end products. Pilot/Namiki probably does make the best non-fountain pens at the moment. (Their fountain pens are nice too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back