Recommend a Good Pasta Sauce
Feb 13, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #31 of 37
As all other say too, the best pasta sauce is home made. Quick and easy, and most important flavoured like your tast...

Supermarket sauce = Apple earbuds
Homemade sauce = Just a nice set of 650's

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 37
Mario Batali Sugo Pomodoro (Basic Tomato Sauce)... Great tasting sauce--my personal favorite! My wife and I got addicted to it when trader joes used to carry it. Then they stopped
eek.gif
and started pushing their own pasta sauces exclusively.
frown.gif
IMO, no where as good.

So I wasn't about to order Batali online, but recently Whole Foods started carrying it.
icon10.gif

http://nymag.com/content/02/wk36/bites.htm

fresh angel hair pasta (cooked al dente) + Mario Batali Sugo Pomodoro + freshly grated real Parmigiano Reggiano = bliss

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #33 of 37
Another quick pasta I make is olive oil and garlic tossed with Angel Hair spaghetti. Cooke angel hair till it's Al dente. Well the pasta is cooking, take an 10" skillet and heat up some extra virgin olive oil add a clove or 2 of fresh garlic, add some crushed red pepper flakes, you want to cook it as little as possible, usually just a minute or two (don't let the garlic brown as it gets crunchy and nasty tasting) toss with the angel hair, and top with a good parmesan cheese (not the junk in a can)

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #35 of 37
The other day I made a very quick (to put in the pot) sauce: 200ml of table cream (I think thats what it said?) and 200ml of 2% milk, a little flour as a thickening agent, a little cheese, pepper, and some heinz ketchup. It took almost 40 minutes of simmering to get the right smoothness and consistency, but it was *awesome*. The heinz was intentionally used (and not out of laziness), as in small quantities it adds a unique flavour with none of the tartness it usually has.

Yesterday I put 2 table spoons of classico tomato alfredo in with the pasta and 200ml of milk on high until it was reduced to a thick sauce, which was also good, the milk cut away the high acidity and chemical after-taste of the classico. Classico pesto is also good, I used to just add a tablespoon of that to the pasta and it tastes quite nice for a 15 min prep time!

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #36 of 37
Wow! I didn't think that this would turn out so many responses so quickly.

I normally sauté some minced shallots and garlic in olive oil, add the Mezzetta, throw in about 15 sliced grape tomatoes, add some fresh cut basil, and finally throw in some minced hot red peppers. I get all these ingredients from a local organic store and they really step up the flavor of the sauce. Making my own from scratch wouldn't be that much more work and since I've been eating so much pasta I should just make a large batch of sauce and get some glass jars.

I know that homemade is where it's at, but since I don't always have the time to spend making it from scratch, I'll have to try out all those brands that were recommended too. I've never tried the vodka sauce before, but it sounds like it might be interesting.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions everybody!
cool.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Newman's Own. In addition to the taste, profits are donated to charity which earns an A++ in my book. (The price isn't too bad either)

I didn't know that. I've been using Bertolli's, but I think I'll switch.

By the way, whoever invented angel hair pasta is my hero. It cooks so fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back