Recommend a decent headphone for teenagers
Aug 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tao1

New Head-Fier
In a few weeks I am visiting one of my oldest friends and while he and his wife will not accept anything from me (I'm staying over at their place) The best way to make everyone happy is to give a gift to their kids.
So here's my dilemma, The older child is a high school aged girl (10th or 11th grade) and the younger a 13 year old boy. I do not know what they listen to. I can't ask the parents as they will tell me not to bother. So I would like to get 2 pairs of headphones - they do not have to be the same (in fact it's probably better if they are not. I would like to get both for under $200. As teenagers style will be an issue. The Mom's very safety conscious and will not let them use IEM's  - so it's either over-ear or on-ear. Since I am a stereo snob (audiophile) beats are out! Also I am trying to stay away from open back designs (due to sound spillover) or I would have bought 2- Grado sr60i 's and that would be that.

I was looking at these;

Skullcandy Aviator
Skullcandy Hesh 2.0
Sennheiser px200-ii
Audio Technica ath-sj55
AKG K81 DJ

any other suggestions? They definitely must sound good and then they have to look good.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 14
AKG K81 DJ are supposedly the same as K518 LE (there is some debate about that). The 581s are decent for around $50, but I thought the bass was very bloated, and there is a lot of it. My 13 year old thought that they were OK (I got them for him). But he agreed on the bass (he also has Ultrasone HFI-580s, so he knows decent bass sound). That is, until we modded them with some blue tack and duct tape in the cups to curb the resonance and dampen them a little (very easy to do). Now we both think that they are awesome. Sound like a $100 headphone. Beautiful impactful bass with EDM and other bass heavy genres. Mids sound better. Very good AKG sound :)

However, unmodded, I would go with the JVC HA-S500. Some bass emphasis--which kids like--but better/cleaner than my experience with the K518s. Very portable. Easy to drive. One of the best deals in a portable headphone.

Also, there are the Noontec Zoro HDs. The physical design is a Beats Solo knockoff, but they do sound much better than Beats. Here is a review from CNET (I agree with the reviewer): http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/noontec-zoro-hd-true/4505-7877_7-35755682.html You could get the Noontec for the girl since they are a little more stylish.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 14
johnman116 - vmoda m80s - nice but $170  a bit too much for just one headphone

cyberbully - the Sony cd900st $215 - no room to get 2 sets when 1 alone is over budget - $280 for the AKG k550, nice for me although I prefer Grado's RS2 for home thru NAD 3400 2 channel amp and IEM's Westone UM3X-RC's + RS P-51 Mustang for travel)

cel4145 - you made it tough - has anyone compared the noontec Zoros' against the Sol Republic Tracks? is one better than the other

has anyone an opinion on any of the house of Marley line of headphones? Stir-It-up or Exodus?

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Cowboom.com has the Sol Republic Tracks in white only for $40. If you haven't ordered before I'm sure you can retailmenot for a coupon for $5. Bass heavy but stylish in that they can always buy different headbands to suit themselves. Nigh indestructible.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 14
V-Moda M80s look great, sound great, and are built like a rock, so if they get dropped (as teenagers tend to drop a lot of things :wink:, they'll be fine. I think the official test is something like 50 drops from 6 feet onto concrete? Hopefully that'll never have to be verified, but who knows. They're the only 'style' headphone that I've come across that have good sound - and by god, do they have amazing sound. I don't think the kids will be disappointed. 
Other options include the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s (probably a good choice if they're not very 'sound-attuned' as the sound signature (bassy) is more layman-friendly) and the Philips Uptowns. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

cyberbully - the Sony cd900st $215 - no room to get 2 sets when 1 alone is over budget - $280 for the AKG k550, nice for me although I prefer Grado's RS2 for home thru NAD 3400 2 channel amp and IEM's Westone UM3X-RC's + RS P-51 Mustang for travel)

cel4145 - you made it tough - has anyone compared the noontec Zoros' against the Sol Republic Tracks? is one better than the other

has anyone an opinion on any of the house of Marley line of headphones? Stir-It-up or Exodus?

Ill sell you mine for $100. Look at my FS thread and pm if interested. 
The m80 was a honest suggestion.

Zoro's are supposed to be good though...
here are some cheapos if youre into that.
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K81DJ-Closed-Back-Folding-Headphone/dp/B000BDD56W
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL5605PP-28-CitiScape-Headphones/dp/B006WHPQUO

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

IMO The Zoro's sound better because it's flatter and has better mids and high's. The SOL is all bass and mediocre highs with poor mids. The bass tends to muddle out the mids and tends to overpower the sound all together. 

IMO The Exodus sound a bit....artificial. They have good amount of bass but its a bit off. I just can't put my finger on it. The mids on the exodus are good and forward sounding. The treble is a bit recessed. Overall it's another good headphone to consider for today's music.

I haven't heard the Stir-it-up's so i won't say anything.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back