Recommend a DAP at me! (Budget: 500$ US. Details inside!)
Aug 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Asphodel

New Head-Fier
All right, so - I've recently acquire an Astell & Kern Jr. It's a pretty good DAP, with a pleasant sound to it, but it doesn't quite meet my needs, and so I figure - why not, instead of fumbling around blindly, ask my fellow Head-Fiers for their assistance? Here's what I'm looking for:

+ Durability: I actually stumbled into Hi-Fi audio because, frankly, I was tired of getting a new player every few months. I'm fairly active, in and out of work, and most things seem to be made of tissue paper these days. So. Durability is nice!

+ Efficiency: Having a player that's able to move seamlessly between songs is great. The AK JR. isn't awful in this regards, but the more fluid, the better. Same with battery life, but a battery life of 2-4 hours isn't a deal breaker in the age of portable solar chargers, or, in absolute worst case, ol' hand-crank.

++ Ease of Syncing Media/Playlists: I have a lot of audio. A LOT OF AUDIO. We're easily talking into the tens of thousands of tracks! I want to, quickly and simply, create randomized playlists that can be moved over and, when played (or when the player is set to random/shuffle/what have you), the songs will be played without repeating previous entries, allowing me to flip through things to best suit my mood.

I do not have the experience or time to 'hand-edit' playlists, even assuming 'only' ten thousand tracks get copied over. I am amazed, and impressed, that people do, but count me out. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the AK JR to play nice in this dept, but perhaps some saint will come along and tell me there's a simple manager/something I've overlooked.

- Aesthetic design: I don't care what it looks like. I don't care if it's a brick. In fact, I rather like bricks; they tend to be durable, haha!

-- Touch-screens: I hate these in every incarnation they're in, and hope the entirety of the mechanic eventually dies like a fad. :darthsmile: All right, while I'm /mostly/ joking here, I'd rather have controls, something clearly delineated and lockable. Again - I work (and enjoy my leisure) in fairly rugged conditions, so light up screens draining battery life and fidgeting at the lightest touch are rather against the grain, for me.

My current DAP is, as mentioned, an AK JR. I have a wide variety of headphones and earbuds, the best sound/comfort of which I currently get from such cheapo earbuds that I've had for years. If someone explain why (you can laugh a bit, if you like, too!) I'd be fascinated to know why that might be the case!

Hopefully this helps you help me, and is at least a little amusing to read. Feel free to throw your opinions or thoughts around - I am but a Head-Fi novice, so teach me your ways!
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back