Recommend a closed headphone under $1000
Feb 24, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 49
I am looking at the Shure SRH1540. A lot of positive reviews out there, but unfortunately no deals since they're so new LOL. May get one from Amazon.com since there is no risk.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 49

Read the first post. The OP already owns that one! XD

Forgetful me. 
blink.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 49
  I am looking at the Shure SRH1540. A lot of positive reviews out there, but unfortunately no deals since they're so new LOL. May get one from Amazon.com since there is no risk.

I wonder how its measurements compare to the "horrifying" measurements of the SRH1840.

Forgetful me. 
blink.gif

By the way, did you actually hear the HD 590 before? (I asked in another thread awhile ago, but didn't get an answer.) The one I got sounded extremely muffled, like I was listening to music from outside a building, so I returned it.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #19 of 49
Music Alchemist said:
By the way, did you actually hear the HD 590 before? (I asked in another thread awhile ago, but didn't get an answer.) The one I got sounded extremely muffled, like I was listening to music from outside a building, so I returned it.

Nope, can't say that I have. I do own an HD600. I've heard people say the same thing you found about the HD590 sounding a bit muffled, I'm not sure if that's really the case or you got a bad can. I will say that the HD600 is delightful.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #20 of 49
  Nope, can't say that I have. I do own an HD600. I've heard people say the same thing you found about the HD590 sounding a bit muffled, I'm not sure if that's really the case or you got a bad can. I will say that the HD600 is delightful.

It's odd, because most people say it's bright, detailed, dynamic, exciting, and so on...but when I got it, it sounded like the total opposite. Oh well...

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 49

It's odd, because most people say it's bright, detailed, dynamic, exciting, and so on...but when I got it, it sounded like the total opposite. Oh well...

I could be wrong, but I thought most people considered the HD580's to be brighter than the HD590.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 49
DT150s got to be mentioned here and I'm the first to do so.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #25 of 49

That sounds more like how I would describe the HD 545 and HD 565, they are the brightest cans I've heard in the HD 600 family. Haven't heard the HD 590 but that seems to be in a different headphone family.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 49
  I could be wrong, but I thought most people considered the HD580's to be brighter than the HD590.

You may have mixed it up, because I heard the opposite, from everything I'd read about both of them.

Moot point since I doubt that either of us is about to buy either of these headphones. Hey, didn't you say that your 590 was muffled?

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 49
Having been in the same situation about a year ago and I was specifically looking for a closed headphone that sounded as open as I could find, while keeping strong bass. I tried most closed-back headphones around under 1000$ and the 1540 were the best and most open sounding. The only other one that came close was the Mad Dogs (pro with alpha pads), but the Shure had much much better comfort (for me) and build quality. The NAD was decent but uncomfortable because of the small openings.

My tastes tend toward stuff like the HE-560 and HD600.

If you don't need the noise isolation don't even think twice and get another open one though.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #30 of 49
I would say the amount in the recording but going a little more is also ok.

Do momentums give better musical fidelity than the A900x? Do they sound more open? I'll look into Focal Spirit Professional and the Shure 1540
Well they would add oomph and I have heard they are much better than the original in terms of fidelity. The spirit pro are very nice but have small ear cups and clamp hard.

I'm kind of hoping the momentum2 will be my final destination for portable closed cans. Just going to wait for a price drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back