Recommend a closed headphone under $1000
Feb 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

CyberAthlete

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I am looking to fill a gap with my collection.

Currently own the Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 650
Audio-Technica ATH-A900x (closed)
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 (open)

I love my Sennheiser's but they don't produce the oomph I need from Electronic/Rock/Hip-hop music that I need.

Looking for something with a good soundstage and good bass.

I like the ATH-A900x but it's time to get something with better fidelity and  higher quality music reproduction. Thank you!

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 49
I heard that the flagship Shure 1540's are a popular headphone around here. Never heard it myself though.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 49
Do you want the amount of bass that's in the recording or much more than that?

For the former, I recommend the Focal Spirit Professional, and for the latter, I recommend the JVC HA-SZ2000.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 49
The new Momentum is getting rave reviews and is also pretty portable while being very comfy and great looking. The Nad Viso HP50 is quite popular as well. The B&W P7 is worth a look as well. Search the forum and see if feedback on these looks like something you may want.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 49
Although they are usually open backed, have you considered a Magnetic Planar. They have great bass (quality) and serious bass extension as well as excellent impact (transient response).

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 49
  Do you want the amount of bass that's in the recording or much more than that?

For the former, I recommend the Focal Spirit Professional, and for the latter, I recommend the JVC HA-SZ2000.

I would say the amount in the recording but going a little more is also ok.

Do momentums give better musical fidelity than the A900x? Do they sound more open? I'll look into Focal Spirit Professional and the Shure 1540

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 49
  Although they are usually open backed, have you considered a Magnetic Planar. They have great bass (quality) and serious bass extension as well as excellent impact (transient response).

I did hear the HiFiMan He-1000 and they did have some serious bass extension but unfortunately they only demoed from a handful of genres. Mostly acoustic or orchestral music. I couldn't test it with Pearl Jam, Jay-Z...I will be demoing the Oppo PM-1 in a few weeks, they are planar magnetic and will have a better idea then.

thing is that the Sennheiser's reproduce music and vocals so much better than the A900x but they don't have the bass. I want a headphone that has the fidelity but also the bass. I know this topics been beaten to death a few thousand times already here (and I am not helping) but what I am doing is putting all your recommendations down on a list so i can look up on them.

Thank you everyone!

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 49
  I would say the amount in the recording but going a little more is also ok.

Do momentums give better musical fidelity than the A900x? Do they sound more open? I'll look into Focal Spirit Professional and the Shure 1540

Then the Spirit Pro is a great choice, and you can just use EQ to tweak the sound whenever you're in the mood for something different.

The Sennheiser MOMENTUM has more of a consumer-oriented tuning -- not strictly an audiophile headphone. I didn't think it sounded very open at all.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 49
  I did hear the HiFiMan He-1000 and they did have some serious bass extension but unfortunately they only demoed from a handful of genres. Mostly acoustic or orchestral music. I couldn't test it with Pearl Jam, Jay-Z...I will be demoing the Oppo PM-1 in a few weeks, they are planar magnetic and will have a better idea then.

I thought you were only considering closed-back headphones, though?

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 49

thing is that the Sennheiser's reproduce music and vocals so much better than the A900x but they don't have the bass. I want a headphone that has the fidelity but also the bass. I know this topics been beaten to death a few thousand times already here (and I am not helping) but what I am doing is putting all your recommendations down on a list so i can look up on them.

Thank you everyone!

Although heavier the HE-500 can be had for a super price on Amazon, etc but not from Hifiman (I think they've discontinued it). There's always the newer HE-560's. These Hifimans are worth giving a listen to. I've had the HE-500's for some time and they are great. It has both fidelity and great bass. Good extension. You can easily make out the pitch of each bass note, it's not a booming mess. I'm told that the PM-1 is a little soft in the treble department, but that's not from personal experience.
As far as open back goes, I'll say, "Once you've gone open, you can't go back."

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 49

I thought you were only considering closed-back headphones, though?

I am.

But I am also open to suggestions and I listen. I don't have experience with Planar Magnetic HPs besides the HE1000 and thus my narrow mindedness only thought of closed back. However, if there is an open can that can produce as much pound for pound bass I am open to it.

:)

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 49
  I am.

But I am also open to suggestions and I listen. I don't have experience with Planar Magnetic HPs besides the HE1000 and thus my narrow mindedness only thought of closed back. However, if there is an open can that can produce as much pound for pound bass I am open to it.

:)

It's a common misconception that open headphones lack bass. Only some do. Many others have superb bass. If you are also considering open-back headphones, it expands your horizons. You can actually get a Sennheiser HD 800 for under $1,000 if you negotiate with a dealer in person. The Audeze EL-8 ($699) is now shipping, and there are open and closed versions of it. That's one planar I am considering, though I may get speakers with the money instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back