Recommend a case for etys
Oct 27, 2004 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jolton

New Head-Fier
Just got a pair of er-6's, and wow...what a difference. (my first big head-phone purchase).
But since I'm going to be carrying them around a lot, I'm hesitant on using the standard etymotic case. Seems pretty soft and leaves the buds vulnerable to pressure.
Any one here know of something to use as a case? I looked at the shure case, but I don't know about that one. I was thinking about just using an altoids tin or something
etysmile.gif

Thanks

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 16
I know a lot of ppl use a round Altoids tin. Cheap, replaceable, sturdy. Shure case isn't as good since it can put pressure on the earphone jack and repeated stress can hurt the earphones.

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 16
Could grab a shure e5 carrying case off of discountheadphone, $13, hard shell lined and it's small enough to put in your pocket, ER6 would fit in there imo. Just remember to get the E5 case not the other case, since the E5 one doesn't have a spindle, while the E2/3 case has a spindle in the middle... not sure if the ER6 would fit with the spindle there.

Oct 27, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 16
The Shure case is neat and protective. I use either the Shure case or a mint tin like someone else said. To be honest my E5 spends most of it's time in a mint tin, although I usually lend out / store the E3c in the Shure case.

Oct 27, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 16
I've been using a rectangular altoids case since about 2 weeks after I got my phones. I lost the original one
frown.gif

Does anybody have a shure case with the spindle, I'm wondering if it would be better for the cable to be in there, or just in the e5 case...

thanks
-Jeff

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 16
is there a way of removing the spindle?

as mentioned above, the spindle interferes with the cabling

the e5 case looks similar to the e2 case on the outside

there seems to be a screw connecting the shure badge outside and the spindle inside, but can't see any place to unscrew it

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 16
I custom modded a rectangular Altoid can to have a soft protective liner so that my Ety won't bounce around or shift when I carry it. I prefer Altoid over E3c's case since it feels more durable (subjective) and more discreet!

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 16
I can't speak for ER-6's, but I haven't found the spindle to be a problem with ER-4P's. The tips go inside, the cord winds around, and the resistor pack goes lengthwise across the notches.

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
I custom modded a rectangular Altoid can to have a soft protective liner so that my Ety won't bounce around or shift when I carry it. I prefer Altoid over E3c's case since it feels more durable (subjective) and more discreet!

I was thinking of getting some of that really thin foam with the sticky botton and lining one of these for my ER-4S's. Is that what you used? If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see some pics
etysmile.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I was thinking of getting some of that really thin foam with the sticky botton and lining one of these for my ER-4S's. Is that what you used? If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see some pics
etysmile.gif

Yup, I've used a thin flexible styrofoam cover (one that commonly used to wrap monitors, TVs, circuit boards...). I've cut the lining so that bottom and four sides are perfectly line-up using double sided 3M sticky tape (very thin), and a fold-away top that covers top when you close the lid. I even taped my card just inside of top lid just in case I loose my Ety
wink.gif
I will post the picture tomorrow if anyone is interested (I left my Ety at work).

Oct 28, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #13 of 16
A hard eyeglass case works great.

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 16
I use one of those little Glad food containers about the size of a baseball.

I like the eyeglass case best but I didn't have one at my disposal when I was looking for a case.

Jim

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by evo
is there a way of removing the spindle?

as mentioned above, the spindle interferes with the cabling

the e5 case looks similar to the e2 case on the outside

there seems to be a screw connecting the shure badge outside and the spindle inside, but can't see any place to unscrew it

I believe the e5 case does not have a spindle.

jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back