Recommend <$100 headphones please
Dec 23, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 44
  I just bought the ATH-M30x, tested them for a couple of hours, and I definitelly made the right choice, the isolation is great (altho i'd likely prefer if it was a bit less of it, so i can actually hear it when someone yells my name in the background) the sound quality is quite amazing, tested them with a bunch of songs (best of pretty much every album from my phone), and made my audiophile father (30 years in the business) test them out, he was quite surprised, didn't expect the sound quality, the balance nor the clarity of them, no muffled bass, just plain, controlled, well maintained bass (just as I like it, I'm a metalhead afterall, not a basshead).

And they come with 2 years of warranty, enough to take my beating 8 hours a day!

I am now truly and utterly stuck between the Takstar Pro 80s and the ATH-M30x haha They both have great reviews. I can buy the Pro 80s for $69 or the M30xs for $99 cheapest. Would you recommend the the M30xs as a good portable headphones because the cable is quite long at 3m whereas the Pro 80 has 1.2m long coiled cable.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 44
I am now truly and utterly stuck between the Takstar Pro 80s and the ATH-M30x haha They both have great reviews. I can buy the Pro 80s for $69 or the M30xs for $99 cheapest. Would you recommend the the M30xs as a good portable headphones because the cable is quite long at 3m whereas the Pro 80 has 1.2m long coiled cable.

M30x would be a downgrade from the Pro 80 IMO. Probably in the opinion of a lot of posters here who own the Pro 80. As I said, many consider the Pro 80 to be better than even the $150 m50x.

Now if portability is your primary concern. The m30x will be slightly more portable due to the foldable design.

The Pro 80 can be had in coiled or straight wires depending on the version.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 44
M30x would be a downgrade from the Pro 80 IMO. Probably in the opinion of a lot of posters here who own the Pro 80. As I said, many consider the Pro 80 to be better than even the $150 m50x.

Now if portability is your primary concern. The m30x will be slightly more portable due to the foldable design.

The Pro 80 can be had in coiled or straight wires depending on the version.

Actually, the website where I'd buy mine says they come with a 2.2m long cable which I guess is better than a 3m one. The pro 80s also have a carry pouch which is nice. Are they durable headphones? In saying this the audio technicas look really nice but if the pro 80s are better I'd go them. Also how comfortable are the Pro 80s around the neck?

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 44
  Actually, the website where I'd buy mine says they come with a 2.2m long cable which I guess is better than a 3m one. The pro 80s also have a carry pouch which is nice. Are they durable headphones? In saying this the audio technicas look really nice but if the pro 80s are better I'd go them. Also how comfortable are the Pro 80s around the neck?

The Pro 80 is built solid.  Mostly metal parts except for an oval on each cup where the branding is located.  Around neck is fine I guess, but the cups don't rotate enough to lay flat like the m30x.

If portability is your primary concern, the m30x may work a little better, but when it comes to sound quality, they will be bested by the Pro 80.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 44
I would highly recommend the takstar or the hsr1000 yes i do prefer them over then the m50x to

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 44

Which country are you in? On the US Amazon, the M30x is $54 and the M40x is $79. The latter is more neutral and comes with more diverse cables, whereas the M30x's cable is nondetachable.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #23 of 44

The Pro 80 is built solid.  Mostly metal parts except for an oval on each cup where the branding is located.  Around neck is fine I guess, but the cups don't rotate enough to lay flat like the m30x.

If portability is your primary concern, the m30x may work a little better, but when it comes to sound quality, they will be bested by the Pro 80.

I think you've just about convinced me haha I have a feeling portability wise they'd be much the same so then it comes down to sound quality which the Pro 80s seem to win in

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #25 of 44
  I think you've just about convinced me haha I have a feeling portability wise they'd be much the same so then it comes down to sound quality which the Pro 80s seem to win in

The only difference portability wise for me, is that the Pro 80 doesn't have rotating cups, so they won't lay flat like the m30x will.

Actually, scratch that, the m30x doesn't rotate flat either.  In that case, they are about equal in portability.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #26 of 44
M30x come with their quite thick carrying bag in which they completely fold, although if i used them anywhere else but at home i'd rather use a plastic case for that as well.
I honestly thought the m30x would be too small for my head (i've got a rather big head i suppose) but it was actually fine as it's very expandable, they seem very durable and firm so far and about the around the neck bit - along with the head my neck is kinda like a tree stump, but because of the fact that i had to spread them out to fit them on my head they've become comfy around the neck as well, you may have problems with that if you intend to use them on the smallest size, although i believe that spread would be for <10yo kids :p.
Either way, you cant go wrong with the either, I haven't tried the takstar pro 80, but I can definitelly say these rock through my dad's quite expensive Marantz full sized amp (PM-16) while firing up some Queen live perfs and Pink Floyd's Pulse.
And by the way the ATH M series has a similar sound all over, M50x is just more neutral than the M30x (which has higher mids and a noticable bass, just the right amount for me, I don't really like much bass).

+ M30x can be folded down this way -> http://i.imgur.com/DHAvid5.jpg

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #27 of 44

The only difference portability wise for me, is that the Pro 80 doesn't have rotating cups, so they won't lay flat like the m30x will.

Actually, scratch that, the m30x doesn't rotate flat either.  In that case, they are about equal in portability.

Sweet! And what I think will be my lat question is: Are the pro 80s good for hip hop? I've heard they're good neutrals and work well with every genre so I'm assuming they are
M30x come with their quite thick carrying bag in which they completely fold, although if i used them anywhere else but at home i'd rather use a plastic case for that as well.
I honestly thought the m30x would be too small for my head (i've got a rather big head i suppose) but it was actually fine as it's very expandable, they seem very durable and firm so far and about the around the neck bit - along with the head my neck is kinda like a tree stump, but because of the fact that i had to spread them out to fit them on my head they've become comfy around the neck as well, you may have problems with that if you intend to use them on the smallest size, although i believe that spread would be for <10yo kids :p.
Either way, you cant go wrong with the either, I haven't tried the takstar pro 80, but I can definitelly say these rock through my dad's quite expensive Marantz full sized amp (PM-16) while firing up some Queen live perfs and Pink Floyd's Pulse.
And by the way the ATH M series has a similar sound all over, M50x is just more neutral than the M30x (which has higher mids and a noticable bass, just the right amount for me, I don't really like much bass).

+ M30x can be folded down this way -> http://i.imgur.com/DHAvid5.jpg

Damn they seem tempting. I absolutely love their design! However, these will be my first headphones ever and since the Pro 80s are $30 cheaper I think I may go them. Hoping they block out at least some noise too

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #28 of 44
  Sweet! And what I think will be my lat question is: Are the pro 80s good for hip hop? I've heard they're good neutrals and work well with every genre so I'm assuming they are
Damn they seem tempting. I absolutely love their design! However, these will be my first headphones ever and since the Pro 80s are $30 cheaper I think I may go them. Hoping they block out at least some noise too

I'm not sure if they would be good for hip hop or not.  I don't listen to the genre so I wouldn't even know if it sounded good or not if I tried listening to it.  I'm assuming you would want a good bass response, in which case the Pro 80 has a good amount of bass without being "too much".

Pro 80 will block out noise about the same the average closed back does.  From my memory of how my m50x performed, the Pro 80 blocks out just slightly less than the m50x.  That was mainly due to the high (and uncomfortable) clamping force of the m50x though.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #29 of 44

I have a feeling M30x's would be better for hiphop (they, out of the whole M series, have higher mids and bass) but, as I haven't tried out the Pro 80's I honestly can't make those claims. At least I'm sure M30x block out plentiful noise, they're well closed, unfortunately, I don't really need that for home headphones, but oh well, at least I have a reason not to hear half of my family screaming in the room next to me asking me to come ._.

And as I said above, you can't really go wrong with either, nobody can know for sure what your opinion over either would be, unless you could test them out one next to the other to compare them :p

Also, you should look out on how both of them fare with your portable device, if they'll deliver at least most of it's potential to sound good (I had to play the M30x's through my Note 4 at 10 volume (outta 13-ish) to hear most of the details/sound quality, under which they weren't as good), from what I've read, the Pro 80 has the same problem just should be mildly worse due to higher impedance (I might be wrong, so don't take my word to be completely correct :3!)

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #30 of 44

I'm not sure if they would be good for hip hop or not.  I don't listen to the genre so I wouldn't even know if it sounded good or not if I tried listening to it.  I'm assuming you would want a good bass response, in which case the Pro 80 has a good amount of bass without being "too much".

Pro 80 will block out noise about the same the average closed back does.  From my memory of how my m50x performed, the Pro 80 blocks out just slightly less than the m50x.  That was mainly due to the high (and uncomfortable) clamping force of the m50x though.

Well I think I'll be buying the Pro 80s, they're a great price and if they work well with my iPhone I'll be ecstatic.
  I have a feeling M30x's would be better for hiphop (they, out of the whole M series, have higher mids and bass) but, as I haven't tried out the Pro 80's I honestly can't make those claims. At least I'm sure M30x block out plentiful noise, they're well closed, unfortunately, I don't really need that for home headphones, but oh well, at least I have a reason not to hear half of my family screaming in the room next to me asking me to come ._.

And as I said above, you can't really go wrong with either, nobody can know for sure what your opinion over either would be, unless you could test them out one next to the other to compare them :p

Also, you should look out on how both of them fare with your portable device, if they'll deliver at least most of it's potential to sound good (I had to play the M30x's through my Note 4 at 10 volume (outta 13-ish) to hear most of the details/sound quality, under which they weren't as good), from what I've read, the Pro 80 has the same problem just should be mildly worse due to higher impedance (I might be wrong, so don't take my word to be completely correct :3!)

I believe mysticstryk said the Pro 80s work well with just an iPhone and numerous youtube videos have confirmed this so I'm hoping its true. The price of the Pro 80s just seems too good to pass up but if they flop which Im hoping they dont then I think audio technicas will definitely be my next purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back