Recomendations for female vocalists?
May 31, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by KeVlaR
Just make sure you don't miss:

Cowboy Junkies. If Margo Timmins on The Trinity Sessions doesn't melt your heart then you haven't got one. You're the tin man! Seriously though, this is a must have album, the songs are to die for and the recording quality is superb. Another classic album everyone should own.

I couldn't agree more! This is my favorite album of all time!!!

I got this album about a zillion years ago (maybe 88' or 89')when I failed to return my Columbia House coupon.
Man am I glad I did. It just doesn't get any better than this one!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and by the way, this entire album was recorded for a measley $250.00 Yes, you read it right, Two Hundred Fifty Dollars! AMAZING!!!!

Jun 20, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #32 of 56
worth trying:-

lacuna coil
the gathering
nightwish
doro
dulce pontes

Jun 21, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #35 of 56
Another that I do not think has been mentioned yet:

Jennifer Warnes -- "Famous Blue Raincoat" , "The Hunter", "The Well"

These have great vocals plus a range on instruments, high quality engineering as well.

Jun 21, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 56
I have to agree with the others about the Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session. Not only was it made on the cheap, but it was recorded in a church with a single microphone. Awesome sound.

Joni Mitchell's Blue is also a personal favorite of mine.

Jun 23, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #38 of 56
My headphones should arrive next week. I have been listening to:
Nora Jones - come away with me
Clair Marlo - Let it Go (OOP Sheffield Lab)
Ricki Lee Jones - Ricki Lee Jones
My wife's favorite- (me too)
Linda Ronstadt - Greatest hits 1 & 2 available on DCC
Stevie Nicks - The Dance DVD...

Jun 23, 2002 at 10:31 AM Post #39 of 56
Here's a few. Mostly singer/songwriters.
Lucinda Williams (can't believe she hasn't shown up before)
Holly Cole
Iris Dement
Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders)
Emmylou Harris
Sue Foley
Gillian Welch
Patsy Cline
Marcia Ball
Kasey Chambers
And one from left field
Joy of Cooking - They put out serveral records in the early '70's. The record companies, in their infinite wisdom, have only put out one copilation disk of their material "American Originals", and they must have put out about four copies of it. Saw one go on ebay a couple of weeks ago for over $125, must be one of the rarest CD's around. If you're into vinyl you might be able to pick up one of their records, well worth a listen.

Jun 25, 2002 at 12:29 PM Post #42 of 56
Check out a couple of recent releases I picked up,

Shannon McNally "Jukebox Sparrows"
Tift Merritt "Bramble Rose"

Jul 14, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #43 of 56
Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. So far I'm listening to a lot of Nightwish, and Eva Cassidy. I've received enough other suggestions to look into to keep me busy for months (years?) to come.

Jul 14, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #44 of 56
When you get caught up a couple from the past with great voices:

Billie Holiday

Ruth Brown

Ma Rainey -- C.C. Rider

Jul 14, 2002 at 3:06 PM Post #45 of 56
Here are my recommendations on female vocalists and their CDs that I found are especially great for headphones:

1) Jane Monheit (Jazz) - "Never, Never Land" and "Come Dream with Me" - Very lush and liquid voice. Great for the intimate listening that headphones gives you.

2) Stacey Kent (Jazz) - "Dreamsville" and "Collection". The "collection" album is especially nice since it is a 24 bit remaster gold disc - Great phrasing, rythm and clear voice. Headphones allow you to listen in on every nuance more easily

3) Alison Krauss (BlueGrass) - "Now that I've found You" - A clean, clear voice and a nicely recorded CD.

4) Rosemary Clooney (Jazz Big Band) - "Sentimental Journey" and "Brazil"- Nice, smooth and swinging style. The CD is also well recorded (HDCD).

5) Jacintha (Jazz) - "Here's to Ben" and "Autumn Leaves" - Warm, delictae and expressive. Boths CDs are well recorded and available on SACD also.

Finally there's always Diane Krall although I find her CDs could have been recorded better with the exception of "Only trust your heart" which was done by GRP in a Live to 2 track manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back