Recomendations for female vocalists?
May 15, 2002 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 56
I been watching this thread...and perhaps I know 1/4 of the singers...
something I've been listening to alot now, Bettie Serveert-Private Suit
anything by the Sundays(Harriet Wheeler! what a babe!)
Basia
Kirsty McColl
and..okay you demons, but I like her...Sade.
Oh and if any of you are fans of Velocity Girl, check out Sarah Shannons disc. It's cool.
md

May 15, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #17 of 56
I'll just chuck another few in here...
Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain - amazing fusion of lovely homegenous string sound, oompah band, electronica and lovely pure female voice!
Jewel - nice little singer, good lyrics, very cute!
Twin Peaks soundtrack - Julee Cruise sings a couple of songs, I think they're great.
The Gentle Waves -Isobel Campbell is another very cute, breathy voiced singer.
HTH
Andrew

May 15, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #18 of 56
"Recomendations for female vocalists?"

Beware the casting couch.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #20 of 56
gentle waves (belle & sebastian)
gentle waves is her solo stuff and b&s is the group shs in
check out
"family tree"
"is it wicked not to care"
"womens realm" all by b&s

May 16, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 56
okay, two glaring omissions:

joni michell
etta james

May 18, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 56
For something really sultry try Jacintha on the FIM label using XRCD2. I have "Here's to Ben" and "Autumn Leaves" and the quality is excellent. These recordings will make you forget about SACD and DVD-A. Even on my portable system these CDs sound fantastic.

May 19, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 56
Ella Fitzgerald

Grace Slick -- The airplane era was her best work

Ani DiFranco -- Live with the Indigo Girls

Janice Joplin -- Saw her live, What a show, Sorry she is gone

May 19, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb

Janice Joplin -- Saw her live, What a show, Sorry she is gone

You bet! While not everybody's cup of "Southern Comfort", she could really belt out a song!

May 20, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #25 of 56
My mom reminds me of janice Joplin! A real free woman.

As far as female vocalists go, Lisa Gerrard is one of my favorite! You know those haunting female vocals on the Gladiator soundtrack? Thats her. I HIGHLY recommend any of her collaborations with Dead Can Dance (who are an amazing group of musicians in their own right). Most of her singing isn't even words, just pure liquid vocal emotion. Without a single actual lyric, she can communicate volumes. Beautiful!

peace,
phidauex

May 20, 2002 at 9:13 AM Post #26 of 56
phidauex, thanks for that rec... I do like her vocals on Gladiator, and I like Dead Can Dance, so I'll have to look for some more of that
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by hokiefritz
Kelly Flint of Dave's True story has a very clear and beautiful voice. Both "Unauthorized" and "Sex without Bodies" are well recorded and sound great with headphones.

I'll second that with emphasis! I love Kelly's voice. Some people may not say that she has a *great* voice, but she can convey a lot of emotion, and is a joy to listen to.

My favorite albums are the 1st and 2nd - "Dave's True Story" and "Sex w/o Bodies". "Unauthorized" doesn't do as much for me.
The first album has recently been re-released with a bonus track and can be had at www.davestruestory.com

While I absolutely adore "Sex w/o B", starting after the middle of the CD. you can hear some radio interference in the right(?) channel off & on during some of the quieter passages. I wholeheartedly recommend the CD, even though if you start to pay attention to the interference it can get a touch annoying.

Regards,
Larry in Dallas

May 31, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #29 of 56
Just wanted to bump this thread and add a couple:

Halou -- electronic trip-hop. The lead singer has a very girly voice that...erm...makes my toes curl. Highly recommended. Was one of my favourite releases of 2001.

Tapping the Vein -- kinda Garbage/Curve/Nine Inch Nails. I love the lead singer's voice, she can do everything from the aforementioned delicate girly to full throttle emo screaming. Destined to be one of my favourite releases of 2002.

May 31, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #30 of 56
Hi,

check out:

Nightwish - The Riddler
Nightwish - Over the Hills And Far Away
Nightwish - Elvenpath

Blutengel - Seelenschmerz

Apoptygma Berzerk - Love Never Dies Part 2 (or was it Part 1?)
Apoptygma Berzerk - LNDP3

L'âme Immortelle (nearly every song)

Some songs of Tristania

Mila Mar

Some Songs of Lacrimosa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back