Recomend Me Some Trip-Hop
Jul 31, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 48
Only one?
frown.gif

But its not a hard decision for me, its Portishead - Dummy by a mile. Without doubt one of the best albums i've ever heard regardless of genre. For me, it beats anything from Hooverphonic, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack, Morcheeba, DJ Shadow, Bjork or any of the other big names sometimes associated with trip-hop that I can think of.

I guess its Gibbons that does it, shes got an amazing voice.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by badpenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just remembered a band that I used to listen t0 in the 90's... The Sneaker Pimps... anything good ever come of them?

Excellent band.
You should check out Lamb and Mekon too.

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #18 of 48
Nice nice... I have a good day today checking out these recommended bands... I have had a live Portishead album for a while... never really got into it... but I just listened to Dummy and its amazing!

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 48
Wow, my 701s love Mezzanine... I have listened to Massive Attack before... I actually bought an album... forget which one it was... but years ago... anyways... I am liking them a lot more now.

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Massive Attack - Blue Lines . This album will still be hailed as a classic in decades to come . Stunningly good music.

About to check it out also, I am usually a sucker for debut releases. I am glad I decided to give this genre another chance. As I sort of swept it under the bed years ago... Weird how music sneaks back into your life.

basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #26 of 48
Just a quick warning about the quintessential Portishead album Dummy, there's noticable amounts of tape hiss on some of the tracks. I didn't notice it before, but I definitely do now. I only have the CD, maybe the vinyl's different.

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick warning about the quintessential Portishead album Dummy, there's noticable amounts of tape hiss on some of the tracks. I didn't notice it before, but I definitely do now. I only have the CD, maybe the vinyl's different.

I'd wondered about that as well jellojoe , but came to the conclusion that its deliberately done , to fit in with the general vibe of the album. (Or maybe we've both just got bad CDs from the same batch )
600smile.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #29 of 48
Yeah, I noticed aswell... doesn't bother me though. Anyways, im having lots of good listening in the past day... Thanks for the great recommendations guys!

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd wondered about that as well jellojoe , but came to the conclusion that its deliberately done , to fit in with the general vibe of the album. (Or maybe we've both just got bad CDs from the same batch )
600smile.gif

For some of the effects, they actually take a recording and cut it to vinyl, then scratch it up a bit, and then record it from vinyl. I think they had a vinyl mastering rig in the studio, so they only had to take the recording down the hall and quickly make a record. Guess they liked the authentic sound more than using some of the computer plugins to get that old vinyl scratched up and surface noise ambient sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back