Recomend me a speaker setup for 400 bucks
Jul 19, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #46 of 70
I've heard plenty of high end Polk speakers. I've heard enough to make my statements. Unless you know of polk speakers that are less expensive than the highest-end and sound better, I don't think my opinions are at fault. However, because you seem to know all about my personality already, maybe this doesn't even matter
wink.gif

Second of all, I am not an idiot, a "retard", or a moron. In fact, I am quite the opposite. I attended one of the most prestigeous colleges in the world. I will now be attending a different prestigeous college for the next two years of my undergraduate education. I will not be humble -- nor will I brag... but I am a highly intelligent person. I also work hard and have very good work ethics.

In addition to the obvious trump my intelligence has over you, you seem to take every little thing as a technicality. Oh sure, you may know me and how I love to argue politics and use a technicality to destroy everybody's opinions. Well, this aint politics mister. And it ain't important either. I was simply trying to help the teenager who started this thread get a good speaker that can last him throughout college. Through my experiences, not one Polk speaker, in my opinion, will be able to do so. So I was trying to help him.

Instead, you obviously feel it's necessary to throw out as many vulgar words as possible into my face, and use a nasty tone. And yes, it is VERY difficult (and actually, impossible, but the tone was certainly implied) to show that kind of expression online.

Third, I feel quite offended to be asked the question if whether or not I have a mental ilness. I indeed do NOT, but to this day I still do much volunteer work with special education children and with mentally ill patients at hospitals. I have gotten to know some of these people very well, and I feel quite upset to see the expression used as a derrogitory term. For somebody who is so bent on making sure you don't come off as a complete jackass, (though, you failed at doing that approximately four posts ago) you seem to perform miserably. You can't be that smart (or, smarter than me, at least) if you cannot find a more appropriate way to offend me.

Since I am a so-called "idiot", I will try to defend myself: I don't care what material it is. It's not wood. Wood is a better enclosure than anything Polk uses for a speaker. In fact, it is the tried-and-true best type of enclosure. The highest-end of speakers use wood. But also keep in mind that most quality speakers use wood too. My speakers have wood. They are some of the best quality speakers I've ever owned or used. I decided after hearing many new speakers for the same price as the Monitor 10 (or maybe it was a 9 or a 7, I don't remember) that it wasn't worth upgrading. My reconditioned speakers from the late 70's not only trumped all the speakers I heard in sound quality, but also in build quality and warantee. Ohm Acoustics supports my speakers to this day, and will even drive to my parents' house to pick them up. That's quite somethin', eh?

And... are you telling me that because I don't have memory of the exact model number I demoed during a session last year (and a half), that I am suddenly a moron? I think you'd be using the wrong insult. The correct insult is that I am:
"A person who can't remember irrelivant information about speakers".

Though, after telling myself that this is what I am, I seem little saddened by the thought.

Don't you think your opinion is slightly biased, much more-so than mine, considering you OWN a pair of these (in my opinion) terrible speakers? Between one person who OWNS them, and one person who has had a good length of experience with more than one very expensive and high end model from the company, you'd think that the guy who HASN'T slaved a lot of money to this company would have a better opinion. After all, it is pretty well-known that if somebody owns a product, that they like to recommend it to others and have a bias over other similarly attractive options.

Unluckily for you, the options in the speaker field are enormous. You only have a strong bias for one particular speaker brand, so far as it appears, while there are virtually hundreds of options this kid could choose from.

Oh yeah, and let's go over forum ethics:

1. You should not post multiple times. You can edit your responses so that you don't flood the thread and look like a jackass at the same time. Others also perceive this action as a foolish attempt to raise your post count. You're obviously too mature for that stuff, so I assume that you were going for the former idea, that you simply wanted to look as ridiculous as possible.

2. Stop thread crapping! mmmmcheese has already PMed me asking my advice personally, and he has decided that he will not be going for his 400 dollar investment, but instead jack up the budget and wait it out. Your polk speakers will not be necessary anymore, nor your feverish ranting.

3. Calling people insulting and politically-incorrect names is asking for trouble.

4. Either PM me or post in the thread. Don't do both!

5. In fact, don't post in this thread at all! That's just ridiculously indecent and uncalled for. This kid requested help, and you gave him a ****hole. And no, I will not answer all of this crap in a PM, as I already typed one out for you. Hope you read this with more intelligence than you used to attack my previous posts. We were having a relatively good discussion with some nice information until you decided it was important to make this thread disappear in a heartbeat.

Whew. I put way too much into this. You're hardly worth it! Though, from the looks of it, you have more than an average amount of money, which could attribute to my attitude toward this pathetic and uncomely discussion.

Have a great day. Hope we get the chance to ruin many more threads along the way.

EDIT: Hmmph. Even more posting has occured during the time it took to post this reply. I appologize that this was "settled" before I was done, but my comments stand. And Julz, thank you for being such a good spectator - although I think that being "opinionated" isn't quite an insult... so thank you for being netural
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
We all know that Aman can sometimes be a little opinionated. ....

ROTFLMAO. Understatement of the year.

blink.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #49 of 70
@ SunByrne - Well, that may be a little harsh
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #50 of 70
Just dont make generalized statements when you havent heard it.

I'm not going to waste my time with your plea for sympathy when you threw the first rock by calling me a dolt nor am I going to sit here and wonder why you even bring up how you go to MIT when it isnt called for in a headphone forum.

This isnt even about Polks or about whether you like them or not. Dont make statements when you havent heard.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Just dont make generalized statements when you havent heard it.

I have.

Quote:

I'm not going to waste my time with your plea for sympathy when you threw the first rock by calling me a dolt nor am I going to sit here and wonder why you even bring up how you go to MIT when it isnt called for in a headphone forum.

I brought it up through PM. You were the one who decided to attack me because I obviously know nothing and because I don't own Polk speakers - the one and only option for the poster of this thread.
rolleyes.gif
Speakers aren't headphones, are they? Grow up!

Quote:

Dont make statements when you havent heard.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? That doesn't even resemble proper English! You're a med student?

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #52 of 70
I'm not going join your ego-contest, Aman. Apparently you said earlier that you have heard the monitor series but not the LSi. You dont even know what you heard if I recall you mentioning. You are very opinionated and seem to justify your inteligence with what school you are attending.

This is an online forum, lets not try to get into an ego-contest. It's not worth it.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

You obviously are too stupid to be taken seriously.

LATER....
Quote:

This is an online forum, lets not try to get into an ego-contest. It's not worth it.

I hate to mention this, but you share resoundingly similar characteristics with bi-polar individuals.

EDIT:
Oh yes, and examine this post made by the thread creator:
Quote:

I don't know where you got that he said that all polk speakers suck. He was saying out of the ones that he has heard that they don't live up to what HE believes they should sound or look like.

I do believe that he is correct. I said they aren't that great - I never said they "sucked". Also, I used "in my opinion", and "IMO" many more times than necessary to get the point accross that this was only an opinion. I may be opinionated - but so are you. Again, not a bad thing.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
You are very opinionated

Hey ! That's my line !
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #55 of 70
Hey Aman,

I like how when you first pmed me you said:

I go to MIT. I am very smart.

Good for you!

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #56 of 70
Oh come on guys. Let's just drop it. This is a no win situation.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #57 of 70
I hate to jump in here and ruin your fun Joey, but I've got to agree with Aman on the speakers. I've heard the LSi 7s. On various pieces of equipment. In three different rooms. They never sounded good. Other options that are easily better in the same price range: Totem Mite, era (it's supposed to be all lower case) Design 4 and Design 5 monitors. The Polks are undefined, muddy in the bass, somewhat muffled in the midrange, and sharp in the treble, and they can't image or soundstage worth a ****. Even to people who have never heard quality speakers before in their life, on crappy NAD gear, the Mites were HUGELY superior to the Polks. I demoed all four of the speakers I mentioned for this couple on Saturday night (both eras, Mite, LSi 7) along with NHT SB3s and Totem Rainmakers.

To them, the difference between the Mites and the Rainmakers was very subtle and small. To me, the difference is huge. But they still heard an enormous difference between the Polks and the Mites. They liked the Design 4 on the same plane as the Mites and the Design 5 on the same plane as the Rainmakers for absolute sound quality, but preferred the sound of the Mites. The SB3s they dismissed along with the Polks.

Another non-audiophile I demoed the Polks for hated them as well, and that compared to the SB3s. The Polks just don't sound good. If you like them, great, but out of curiosity, what else have you heard to compare them to?

I strongly recommend you seek out a Totem dealer and listen to a pair of Rainmakers. Then let's see what you think of your LSi 9s.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #58 of 70
Come on guys, we don't need this. mmmmcheese is asking for a response to his $400 dollar setup thread and unfortunately he isnt getting much help from your argument and unfortunately this is turning into a bashfest.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #59 of 70
Alright I have now decided to screw getting bookshelf speakers and a sub. I am planning on just waiting for a while longer and getting something more worthwhile. I am looking into getting some semi-entry level floorstanding speakers.

Here are some brands that I have looked at:
B&W
Axiom
Ohm Aucoustics
vonschweikert (Although they look way out of my range)

I have been especialy interested in the Axiom M40ti and M50ti speakers. I really like the look of them and I have seen a couple of very positive reviews.

I really enjoy the midrange of my Grado SR325is and I love the bass and high frequencies on my Beyerdynamic DT770. I would like my speakers to reflect those qualities. I do not need them to be just like them but it would be nice to have such a speaker.

Give me some reccomendations on speaker brands and models that you enjoyed (or have not enjoyed). Also please let me know how much they cost and where you got them.

EDIT: I have just looked at the Axiom M3ti bookshelf speaker and the EP125 or EP175 subwoofer. I could get these together for the same price of getting the M50ti floostanding speakers.

Thanks alot,
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back