Recomend me a speaker setup for 400 bucks
Jul 12, 2005 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

mmmmcheese

500+ Head-Fier
Right now I am using my Logitech Z-3 2.1 computer speakers as my setup. I am looking for an upgrade. I was thinking that I would get 2 bookshelf speakers and a sub. I need my bass. Recomend me an amp, bookshelfs, and a sub.

I listen to alot of heavy rock with lots of bass (ie Marilyn Manson). So the sub is the most important. The sub on my Z-3s is an 8 inch and isnt to bad. I just want more extension and a good punch. As for the bookshelfs I would like something kind of forward and a little bit bright. And the amp I really dont know what I want, other than it needs to power my bookshelfs.

Oh almost forgot The sub should be powered.

EDIT: ignore the first, second and part of the third page and read on after that.

Jul 12, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 70
Were I you, I'd save up a little more money and get a set good monitors and forget the sub for now. If you are trying to get a sub and speakers for 400 you will most likely be disapointed, I know I've done it. I went out and bought some JBL midlevel speakers before I really knew what was going on and like 5 months later I was ready to upgrade. If you must stay in the $400 range look used at Audiogon.com or some such place. Popular speakers around that price seem to be Von Schewert(sp?) VR1, Totem Rainmakers, Dynaudio 42/52, Axiom Speakers, and some here like Ohm speakers. Hope this helps.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 70
I suggest saving your money. 400 bucks will not get you anything worth buying.

You're a head-fier! Don't you want good sound?

Polk subwoofers are some of the worst I've ever heard -- and the speakers too aren't great. If you MUST spend 400 dollars, spend it only on the monitors and forget a sub. Klipsch has floor-standing speakers that, while they are crap, will give you good bass and good performance for heavy metal music. They cost around 400 dollars.

But seriously, subwoofers are mainly used to do movie effects - they are definitely not needed for music.. no matter what it is.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 70
well I am selling my SR325is and my iriver h320 so I will get like 550 for those. I could maybe up my budget to that but from what you guys said I don't think it would be worth it. The reason I wanted a sub is because out of all the loudspeakers, and florrstanding speakers I have never heard any that had bass that was any good. Other than the speakers that my church got. Except they cost over 4 grand.

I think that with speakers I sould really listen to them and see if they would be the ones I really want.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
well I am selling my SR325is and my iriver h320 so I will get like 550 for those. I could maybe up my budget to that but from what you guys said I don't think it would be worth it. The reason I wanted a sub is because out of all the loudspeakers, and florrstanding speakers I have never heard any that had bass that was any good. Other than the speakers that my church got. Except they cost over 4 grand.

I think that with speakers I sould really listen to them and see if they would be the ones I really want.

Never heard any that were good? Well then sir, you must go out and listen to some speakers at a Hi-Fi shop near you. Maybe you havent listened to good speakers.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
Never heard any that were good? Well then sir, you must go out and listen to some speakers at a Hi-Fi shop near you. Maybe you havent listened to good speakers.

Well I have ZERO decent hifi shops in my area. I have had to buy blind everything that I own. The closest thing to hifi I got is Best Buy....Wait I do have one store but all they have really is home theater. I'll check them out later.

What do you guys think would be enough money to get a set of speakers and amp that have good bass?

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 70
I saw M-Audio BX8's the other day on musician's friend for $300!
biggrin.gif
Get that for now and if you really need more bass, and the SBX later ($325).

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 70
So those are powered monitors? Then how would I connect them to my preamp?

EDIT: and if I did get a sub later how would I do the crossover? Sorry I am a complete speaker newb.

What if I got these and the sbx?

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 70
Here is a deal you need to grab
biggrin.gif

First, I have to admit that $400 generally is not enough for getting hi-fi speakers including subs. But right now Audio Advisor has this sale that can actually help you achieve your goal:
The AS-B1 speakers are on sale for $99 a pair:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ers%20-%20Pair
Then get the AS-P4000 sub for $299:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...00%20Subwoofer
The monitor and the sub are designed for one another so they will have very good crossover characteristics. In my own Athena Monitor/Sub setup I can never detect the transition between the two--very impressive. Use ecoustics.com and audioreview.com to read the favorable reviews on the Athena Audition series. Soundstage's reviewer's choice award on AS-B1 should be enough to convince anyone these are really nice speakers, because, IMHO, no audio magazine knows more about minimonitors than Soundstage. You may even audition some Athena speakers at Best Buy.

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
Here is a deal you need to grab
biggrin.gif

First, I have to admit that $400 generally is not enough for getting hi-fi speakers including subs. But right now Audio Advisor has this sale that can actually help you achieve your goal:
The AS-B1 speakers are on sale for $99 a pair:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ers%20-%20Pair
Then get the AS-P4000 sub for $299:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...00%20Subwoofer
The monitor and the sub are designed for one another so they will have very good crossover characteristics. In my own Athena Monitor/Sub setup I can never detect the transition between the two--very impressive. Use ecoustics.com and audioreview.com to read the favorable reviews on the Athena Audition series. Soundstage's reviewer's choice award on AS-B1 should be enough to convince anyone these are really nice speakers, because, IMHO, no audio magazine knows more about minimonitors than Soundstage. You may even audition some Athena speakers at Best Buy.

that looks really sweet. Is audio advisor a trust worthy site? How long will that sale last or is it just the regular price?

Are those powered?

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
that looks really sweet. Is audio advisor a trust worthy site? How long will that sale last or is it just the regular price?

Though I have never dealt with them, Audio Advisor seems to be a reputable hi-fi dealer on-line. They sell a lot of serious audiophile stuff. They are one of the few authorized on-line dealers of Athena products. The Audition series is being updated into the second edition (but look pretty much the same to me, same drivers as far as I can tell), and I guess that is why AA is getting rid of discontinued products. This deal will not last long. Good luck
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 70
Yeah you can trust Audio Advisor. I ordered my Atacama speaker stands from them and they delivered everything they promised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back