Recomend me a non-IEM portable
Jan 15, 2009 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, sorry to make yet another "reccomend me" thread, but I'm not sure what the current options are regarding good quality non-IEM portables.

My basic requirements are:
*fairly low profile, nothing full-size or bulky
*decent isolation
*durable enough to withstand some abuse, either that or coming with a hard case (my portables spend a fair amount of time in my backpack getting thrown around)
*comfortable

Sonically, what I'm after is:
*engaging, lively signature. nothing too laid back
*accurate imaging/layering. Soundstage size isnt so important, so long as instrument seperation is decent
*well suited to electronica/symphonic rock

My current portables, the PMX200's have served me well the last few years, but they're near the end of their lifespan and need a replacement. I could just get another pair if I dont find anything else interesting, but I'm open for suggestions on upgrades.

Upper budget limit would be $700 or so. Suggestions welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 19
You're fairly limited in terms of choice (low profile closed headphone). For $700 US you can get the Audio Technica ESW10. Otherwise you could get the Sennheiser HD25-I/II, which are apparently durability kings.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 19
I just bought ESW10JPN... the initial impressions are pretty positive, but I'm going to refrain from talking about them before they start opening up. Can be had from ebay for about $520. PERFECT form factor and immaculate and understated aesthetic. Turns heads with gorgeous black cherry cups with urushi lacquer. You definitely want to buy an Audio Technica hard shell case to carry in the backpack, these cans won't take the abuse. They tick all the criteria you have there, especially with engaging signature & great imaging/layering. They isolate well enough for my needs but they definitely cut off ambient noise as well as all or most of circumaural closed phones.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Yuin PK1 or OK1 fit your bill w/ the exception they do not isolate well. But man they sound sweet, and they are relatively innexpensive. The costlier of the two is about $230.

PK1 would be a viable option. My PMX200's dont isolate all that well either, but they do block out *some* noise, which is good enough. I suppose I just need to defeat my prejudice of earbuds = bad
tongue.gif

RE: the ESW10, I have trouble considering it any sort of bang for buck. I listened to it briefly at the last meet and it wasn't remarkable enough for me to even remember what it sounded like.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 19
Yuin is a nice option if you don't mind earbuds. The isolation won't be there though. For that, you'll need something that fits over the ear, and that creates a larger profile. This is sort of why IEMs are so popular, tiny and isolated, plus <$700 will get you any of them.

Sorry I don't have much for comments on over the ear headphones. I am quite green when it comes to head-fi.

You might look into a couple of the electric noise canceling options. They do function and could give you the combination of features you want. Just shop around for what's available.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 19
The PK's take a surprising amount of abuse. I wear them biking so they've been subject to sweat, sun and being generally jerked around.

I've owned a pair while my daughter has gone through two pairs of Sennheiser buds. They sound great to boot!

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 19
HD25 I-II gets my vote and you could buy yourself a new dap with the change if you wanted. you know how I feel about ESW9-10..... meh .........unfortunately I have some memory of what they sound like
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 19
I recommend the Sennheiser HD25-1 with velour pads and the HD650 cable!
It's engaging, detailed, comfortable, reliable and durable
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 19
I'm also gonna give a vote to the Yuin PK1.

I had a free trial of them once and thought they were great but didt' have the spare £ at the time. But I've just snapped up a new pair off Ebay last night from a guy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back