Reclockers - USB Outboard Soundcards
Apr 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

marone

100+ Head-Fier
I am working up the scale in cans, amps and DAC's and I began on the cheapest reclockers I could find.

If this is not the proper forum, please let me know where this should be posted.

I purchased two reclockers that outsource the USB soundcard and miniplug functions.

Neither are good to drive an outboard amp due to 50hz ground loop hum but to drive head phones directly they work as described. Noise floor drops out of sight and isolation from the bus and motherboard is total so that harddrive sounds are gone. Both are rather quiet and definitely not for the bass-heads. Full amplification does not get very loud on speakers when driving an amp, but that's not as intended and designed for these units.

Both are made and bought in China.

PAM2704 USB
58Y
Is a DIY based on the 2740 chipset.
$9.34 USD

ZD-Tech
PCM2704 chipset
55Y
$8.86 USD

The PAM2704 has only a USB input and a miniplug output. It works, though it does have a slightly buzzy noise floor that is quieter than the PC bus. So it isolates from the computer bus noises as intended. It can be used stand-alone or to drive an amp.

The ZD-Tech is the better sounding of the two units, clear treble, excellent realism on cymbals the tap of the stick hitting the pan is there, ok bass, good mids. This unit has an spdif, fibre and miniplug output. It can be connected between the PC and a DAC, used as a headphone amp, or used to drive an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back