reciever help
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
i've been using my PC rig as my source ever since i got into cans. Today i got a cheap $100 cd player as my old one broke. Using it, monster IC,cmoy and my ad2000s i wasnt that impressed vs my PC rig of x-fi straight to cans(same cd, same cans). I think the missing link was my EQ settings. I always color my stuff to 'rock settings' as it sounds the best to me. Id like to get a reciever to put those colorations back in. Im looking for a relative cheap one, any suggetions?

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
i've been using my PC rig as my source ever since i got into cans. Today i got a cheap $100 cd player as my old one broke. Using it, monster IC,cmoy and my ad2000s i wasnt that impressed vs my PC rig of x-fi straight to cans(same cd, same cans). I think the missing link was my EQ settings. I always color my stuff to 'rock settings' as it sounds the best to me. Id like to get a reciever to put those colorations back in. Im looking for a relative cheap one, any suggetions?

A lot around people hear would frown on using eq settings like you describe but I guess the best way to add the kind of effects you are talking about would be

1. a dedicated analogue graphic eq which you can pick up on ebay for very little as studios are all going digital these days. look for Rane or DBX which should be possible for under 100USD

2. A digital effects processor which again are being junked for similar reasons. Boss made some quite nice ones like the SE50 / SE70 which should be fairly cheap on ebay.

3. A home cinema amp is possible for under 200USD and this will have a DSP with settings for "rock stadium" or "jazz club" or whatever.

4. Maybe a home cinema pre-amp like Yamaha made which hass 3 channels of power amp for rear and sub and bags of DSP processing.

The last two will also allow you to hook up your computer to watch DVD's and play games in Dolby Digital surround etc with the addition of an SPDIF/Optical card to get the sound out of your computer.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 4
I dont know what youre calling cheap......but the best buy i found so far in a no-nonsense,2-channel reciever is the one Stereophile reviewed recently,
the OUTLAW ,i think the model is a 2150 or something. They only make 2,so it shouldnt be hard. It has a USB ipod-in jack also,and a headphone jack with volume control. Looks nice,and its only $599.
100w X2
.08 thd @ 20-20,000hz

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot

Wander over to audiokarma.org and look at the vintage solid state forum. Some of the older top of the line integrated amps will do what you want for very, very cheap.

Plus the headphone outs can be better than many less expensive ( <$500 ) dedicated headphone amps. And way, way, way better than 95% of the headphone outs of todays receivers.

Just be aware that capacitors wear out, so be careful what you buy if you decide to go that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back