Recession making it hard to sell?
Jul 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #16 of 28
Yes. I put up a RS-1 at $470 and expected it to be almost instantly out the door. Not even a nibble yet. If I don't hear anything today, I'll pull it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 28
I haven't noticed this, but I have only sold equipment for $300 or less. I am sure that the higher end gear is getting hit much harder.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #18 of 28
I've seen alot of RS-1 and RS-2's on for sale forum for ridiculously cheap prices that don't sell. I'd say some of the buying power of headfi, excluding the budget purchases below $200, have been compromised by the HF-2, and maybe the HD-800.
Sometimes, I imagine that something like this goes along in the headphone companies:
"As you can see, our product lines are taking a hit; sales are decreasing and we can't clear our inventory."
"I know what we can do: we can introduce a new flagship headphone. It will definitely set a trend and sell no matter what among the audiophiles. Since the demand is inelastic, we'll mark up the prices so much that each headphone will have a profit margin that's five-fold of the regular products."
"Sir, but how would we justify such exorbitant prices?"
"Rule of thumb: Flat is flawless. We've come 90% of the way with our last flagship, just flatten the frequencies out a little bit more. You can't possibly criticize a neutral phone, and add to that sound stage and some amazing details: we'll have audiophile headphones truly worthy to be our flagship. Now get to work!"
"Sir, you are a genius."

I know, this probably isn't accurate at all, but whenever a new 'flagship' model with exorbitant prices surface, I can't help but be suspicious. This feels especially true with Grados, with frequent updates of flagship models and niche products like HF series that are bound to sell.
I'm sure I'm just jealous because I'm a broke student who can't afford these amazing headphones =/

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...alot of RS-1 and RS-2's on for sale forum for ridiculously cheap prices that don't sell. I'd say some of the buying power of headfi, excluding the budget purchases below $200, have been compromised by the HF-2, and maybe the HD-800.

I think the economy has more to do with the current buy/sell trend than a specific item.

I've had items listed everywhere for a while too. I've actually fared better on craiglist and eBay than head-fi (which is where I prefer to keep gear sales). Hope it perks up soon so I can maybe get the tube amp I've been wanting for over a year.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the economy has more to do with the current buy/sell trend than a specific item.

I've had items listed everywhere for a while too. I've actually fared better on craiglist and eBay than head-fi (which is where I prefer to keep gear sales). Hope it perks up soon so I can maybe get the tube amp I've been wanting for over a year.

That's probably true for other cans and equipment, but I think especially for RS series, the HF-2 has created a vacuum of demand. A lot of people actually prefer HF-2 to the RS1's and RS2's, and many would rather sell the RS series than HF if they were in a situation to sell. For the people wanting to buy high-end Grado's, HF-2 would obviously be a better buy at cheaper price than RS series for multiple reasons: SQ, special edition series, etc etc.
Personally, I think this situation creates a great opportunity to snag the RS series at cheap prices.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 28
^ i have seen on a'gon some very nice CD players go for very reasonable prices - some even bargin basement. headphones, especially grado, too. i also follow the sales of nordost cables and surprisingly there has been little decline there. go figure.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I put up a RS-1 at $470 and expected it to be almost instantly out the door. Not even a nibble yet. If I don't hear anything today, I'll pull it.

Heh this was one of the FS posts I was specifically thinking of when I started this thread

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Personally, I think this situation creates a great opportunity to snag the RS series at cheap prices.

This is definitly true and nice given some people have been hard hit by the economy.

Quote:

That's probably true for other cans and equipment, but I think especially for RS series, the HF-2 has created a vacuum of demand. A lot of people actually prefer HF-2 to the RS1's and RS2's, and many would rather sell the RS series than HF if they were in a situation to sell. For the people wanting to buy high-end Grado's, HF-2 would obviously be a better buy at cheaper price than RS series for multiple reasons: SQ, special edition series, etc etc.

I believe this is only part of the sales slump for headfiers since the HF-2 is only open to qualified Head-Fi members. I believe there is a large IEM community (thank DAPs) that has been growing, at least that I have observed on Head-Fi in the last couple of years, who show little interest in OTH style phones. That coupled with those feeling the hurt of the economy creates a prime slump environment.

For those twenty-somethings and under, school and off hours jobs are great. For those of us with home, cars and family to take care of, it makes us way more cautious on how we spend. Proof enough in GM sales slumping from 16 million a couple years ago to under 10 million this year. Today our local library annouced reduced hours and layoffs due to huge budget cuts. This is going to affect a large group of people who have come to depend on the library for education, internet connectivity, reading and entertainment. This is serious economic times. People are not willing to put out their hard earned cash unless they really need to and I do not blame them.

I'd love to have and HF-2, especially since I missed out on the HF-1, but right now I am focused on roof, food and clothing. Those things come out of the bank first and pleasures take a backseat. Lemme tell you, as someone who adores music, it has been hard to sell off my belongings (especially my keyboard) just to pay bills.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would not be surprised if "CONUS only" have something to do with that. Lack of pictures do not help either...
You restrict yourself to the one of the markets who have been hit the hardest by the recession.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is definitly true and nice given some people have been hard hit by the economy.

I believe this is only part of the sales slump for headfiers since the HF-2 is only open to qualified Head-Fi members. I believe there is a large IEM community (thank DAPs) that has been growing, at least that I have observed on Head-Fi in the last couple of years, who show little interest in OTH style phones. That coupled with those feeling the hurt of the economy creates a prime slump environment.

For those twenty-somethings and under, school and off hours jobs are great. For those of us with home, cars and family to take care of, it makes us way more cautious on how we spend. Proof enough in GM sales slumping from 16 million a couple years ago to under 10 million this year. Today our local library annouced reduced hours and layoffs due to huge budget cuts. This is going to affect a large group of people who have come to depend on the library for education, internet connectivity, reading and entertainment. This is serious economic times. People are not willing to put out their hard earned cash unless they really need to and I do not blame them.

I'd love to have and HF-2, especially since I missed out on the HF-1, but right now I am focused on roof, food and clothing. Those things come out of the bank first and pleasures take a backseat. Lemme tell you, as someone who adores music, it has been hard to sell off my belongings (especially my keyboard) just to pay bills.

That's true. I guess I was seeing the situation more in a perspective of a college student rather than regular people with family and houses to account for. For me, contribution in family budget and spending in college is more or less voluntary, and whatever portion I want to spend out of the summer earnings on headfi (which is currently $200, which I already spent on MS2's) is flexible.
Then again, reading the forums and watching people buy HD-800's and owning multiple expensive headphones, amps, etc., has affected my perception on the headfi community to be a lot richer than it probably is.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #27 of 28
I think this is true, yet the REALLY expensive cans sell real fast, HE90 for 11k, L3000 for $3,500 and K1Ks for $1500. These cans fly but RS1s and the like sit, it is very odd.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #28 of 28
Well you could look at it a different (read: more optimistic) way. People like me who are just now getting to the point where they can afford nice gear are able to get a lot more for our money by buying used, this places us further up the upgrade curve (or down into the money pit
smily_headphones1.gif
) so it won't be as long before we come a' knockin for your higher-end gear, and we won't have the pixie on our shoulder saying "you just spent a grand on new ____ 4 months ago."

This is my thinking at least, but what can I say, I'm an optimist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back