Recently got a iPod Photo 30GB (from a 4G 20GB).. sounds TERRIBLE!
Mar 24, 2005 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

arribadia

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm not sure how to describe it, but the stuff I listen to are usually very rich in highs like Charlotte Church etc.. and on the new iPod, it seems like these highs seem to be clipped off or something, producing a very harsh sounding result.

The big irony is it sounds *pretty* decent using the white earbuds, but with my old headphones (plugged into the headphone jacks), it really sounds gross.

I never encountered this problem with my old iPod, could Apple have changed something in the latest line?

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 30
Do you still have the old iPod? Are the files encoded the same? I would just do a quick A/B test, and use a good variety of songs too. If the problem persists, maybe take the Photo back and get a new one?

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I went from 4G 40GB to 30GB Photo and noticed no change.

A Head-Fier who downgraded in capacity! Whoaaa....
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 30
I'm about to make the same upgrade, but now I'm a little concerned. Arribadia what headphones are you using? (besides the one Apple bundles with the iPod) And can you elaborate more on how it sounds "gross"?

- Justin

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 30
I'm not sure what's the cause.. but it seems like there is not enough juice to drive my headphones.

Maybe the old 20GB was an exceptionally good iPod, or maybe this new one is a crap one, but it has been quite a while since I got it (> 10 days definitely) so I don't think I can get a replacement anymore..
frown.gif

What's the usual workaround? Would a headphone amp work?

How about using the line out jack that some people are talking about? I only notice one jack on my iPod, so where is the other jack?

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 30
I definately hear a difference between the two units. The 30 gig has an edgier sound, more "transistory" (OK, I made up the term, but those of us who listened to early solid state gear know what I mean) maybe a bit more etched qand dynamic, but less bass (both in extension and magnitude)-- less full, less musical. Frankly I was disappointed. The one potentially good piece of news is the sound of the shuffle. Better, more clear, more balance, coherent than either the 4 G or the Photo. One can only hope that the shuffle sound foretells the sound of the 5G.

Barry

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by noname
I'm about to make the same upgrade, but now I'm a little concerned. Arribadia what headphones are you using? (besides the one Apple bundles with the iPod) And can you elaborate more on how it sounds "gross"?

- Justin

I've used a SR-80 (Grados), a Sennheiser EH-2200, and also a MX-500 (ear bud). They all sound really harsh when the frequencies get high... it is no longer smooth, there is no "body" to the sound. It is hard to explain, but I hope you get the idea.

The stock earbuds seem to work fine though.

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry
I definately hear a difference between the two units. The 30 gig has an edgier sound, more "transistory" (OK, I made up the term, but those of us who listened to early solid state gear know what I mean) maybe a bit more etched qand dynamic, but less bass (both in extension and magnitude)-- less full, less musical. Frankly I was disappointed. The one potentially good piece of news is the sound of the shuffle. Better, more clear, more balance, coherent than either the 4 G or the Photo. One can only hope that the shuffle sound foretells the sound of the 5G.

Barry

Yeap, it is exactly as you put it. I don't know how the Shuffle sounds like, but my old 4G set was actually quite good...
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by arribadia
How about using the line out jack that some people are talking about? I only notice one jack on my iPod, so where is the other jack?

http://www.sik.com/din.php

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 30
I'm keeping my 4g 40-gigger as one of the last of a dying breed.... monochrome screens won't be around much longer except on the uber-cheap models.

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
A Head-Fier who downgraded in capacity! Whoaaa....
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

First 'downgrade' was 20GB NJB1 to 5GB 1G iPod. Very happy with that 'downgrade'. Also the 1G iPod to 4G iPod had a big difference in sound (eariler was significantly brighter and less smooth). Again going from 4G to Photo, I'm not noticing this "TERRIBLE!" sound difference with HD650 (w/SR71) or ER4S or A900.

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 30
Did you use the external amp for all of your trials. I hypothesize that they changed the internal amp somewhat. I am also surprised that when I hook up the photo to my car stereo through the headphone jack, that I do not notice the same character as ehn I listen he photo through my sure 5 my old ety4p. I agree that the ipod buds sound OK. I can also tellyou that when I went to the
Apple store to determine if I had a faulty unit, they were very polite but I am pretty sure that they thought that I was nuts. I can't argue with that last observation, but I am pretty sure that the photos are less "musical" than the mono screens. Who knows, maybe I am having auditory halucinations. Anybody else comfortable weighing in? (about the ipod, not my mental state, please.)

Barry

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry
Did you use the external amp for all of your trials.

Only for the Senns. I did not A/B the iPods as they weren't here at the same time (sold the 4G to buy the Photo), but with only a week between (was two and a half months between 1G and 4G at that was obvious) I think I'd easily notice a difference as great as mentioned. Not to deny others are hearing it with their units, but I do kinda doubt there's been a production change that causes a major shift in sonic characteristics as I don't.

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #15 of 30
I went from a 4G 40GB to a 30GB photo and right away out of the headphone jack the sound was definately not as rich as the old ipod. It is really obvious when using the itrip in the car. I used to have too much bass with the old unit/itrip and now the bass is really tamed. I notice very little difference via the line out through the headroom coda. I have compared the same AAC track on tmy new photo and my old 4G (sold it to a coworker) and you can pick the 30 GB photo 10 out of 10 times listening through the headphone jack. My coworker got the same results too so it's not audio nervosa!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back