Recently got a iPod Photo 30GB (from a 4G 20GB).. sounds TERRIBLE!
Mar 24, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 30
damn my 40 gig is dying and this is not what i wanted to hear ... *grumbe stupid apple... grumble*

mad.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by earache
I went from a 4G 40GB to a 30GB photo and right away out of the headphone jack the sound was definately not as rich as the old ipod. It is really obvious when using the itrip in the car. I used to have too much bass with the old unit/itrip and now the bass is really tamed. I notice very little difference via the line out through the headroom coda. I have compared the same AAC track on tmy new photo and my old 4G (sold it to a coworker) and you can pick the 30 GB photo 10 out of 10 times listening through the headphone jack. My coworker got the same results too so it's not audio nervosa!

I just ordered a PocketDock.. hopefully listening through lineout will be better :|

Mar 24, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by arribadia
I just ordered a PocketDock.. hopefully listening through lineout will be better :|

Do you have an amp? You dont want to just run headphones out of the line out. If you said you have an amp and I missed it, Im sorry.

Mar 24, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

I'm not sure how to describe it, but the stuff I listen to are usually very rich in highs like Charlotte Church etc.. and on the new iPod, it seems like these highs seem to be clipped off or something, producing a very harsh sounding result.

Try changing artist. Maybe the new iPod feels tortured? He just wants you to be gentle & show some respect. Try puttin' on some George Duke, iPods tend to like him...: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...ItemId=5556612

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #20 of 30
I don't own an IPOD but I'm considering the 60GB photo. I think part of the issue is burn in. Most of you are comparing your brand new 30GB photo to a 4G IPOD that has many hours of use. If after say 300-400 hours of use, the photo IPOD still sounds harsh or lean compared to the older IPODs then I think your conclusions are valid. Until then, I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison no pun intended.
tongue.gif
The D/A chips and the amp circuitry requires burn in on the IPOD like any other component.

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 30
Six bits says you have the EQ turned on to some weird treble boost setting.

See ya
Steve

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermeyer
Do you have an amp? You dont want to just run headphones out of the line out. If you said you have an amp and I missed it, Im sorry.

Erm, would it be any worse than now?

Trust me, through the current headphone jack it is really bordering on disgusting!

Mar 25, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #24 of 30
Do you have a pic of the 30GB Photo iPod? The apple/press release photos do it up too much.. would much prefer "real life" pictures
eggosmile.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #25 of 30
Mar 25, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Erm, would it be any worse than now?

Trust me, through the current headphone jack it is really bordering on disgusting!

you won't be able to adjust the volume using the line out, and it will probably be way too loud for you.

Mar 25, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #27 of 30
Hi,

I have the 4G 20-meg iPod and now have the 30-gig photo -- via line-out with my PC-II and either SR-225s or HD-650s I can detect no differences using Apple Lossless. Switching between headphone outputs quickly gives the same result and hooking both up to my quads the same. Mine has the 1.1 update but there's nothing in it that goes to sound quality I don't think. Possible that your unit is defective (headphone amp, decoder)? I've scanned Ipodlounge and a few other places and all seem to claim identical SQ between 4G and photo. Is this a general feeling among Head-fi members?

o

Mar 27, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Cow
So wait:
Either the iPod has a fault on some of it's unit (again) or it has less bass than before? Or maybe it needs burn-in? Or maybe Apple shortchanged the amp?

:lol

I'm not sure, but knowing Apple... if I bring it in to Applecare they'd probably do nothing about it.

iPod needing a burn in does sound silly
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back