Recently bought TRN BT20S and not happy with it. Help
Aug 6, 2019 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LK89

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
Long time Shure SE215 user, around 4 years, and just last month the cable start making problem. Instead of replacing with a new one, i heard good things about TRN BT20S with its aptx technology.

Today the item arrive, and i test it. What, the sound was so flat, almost 80% of the bass disappear compared with the cable. I am really disappointing with the quality of the sound.

I have already double check whether aptx is enabled. Need any help if i need to configure or tweak something. Or am i getting the fake version?

Thank you very much.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 9
I bought a TRN HB1 Bluetooth receiver and I am likewise not impressed by the SQ, but to be honest I also didn't expect much.
A HQ bluetooth receiver like the JVC SU-ARX01BT costs more than $100 and at that level I would still expect giving up some SQ compared to a good source.

Especially with a decent IEM like the SE215 I am not surprised that you can clearly hear a difference and being BA IEMs with crossover you might additionally face some frequency response changes caused by a possibly high impedance of the BT unit.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Hello all,
Long time Shure SE215 user, around 4 years, and just last month the cable start making problem. Instead of replacing with a new one, i heard good things about TRN BT20S with its aptx technology.

Today the item arrive, and i test it. What, the sound was so flat, almost 80% of the bass disappear compared with the cable. I am really disappointing with the quality of the sound.

I have already double check whether aptx is enabled. Need any help if i need to configure or tweak something. Or am i getting the fake version?

Thank you very much.

Is there perhaps some kind eq setting for the 3.5mm out, that isn't applied to BT output of your device? What's your source?

I bought a TRN HB1 Bluetooth receiver and I am likewise not impressed by the SQ, but to be honest I also didn't expect much.
A HQ bluetooth receiver like the JVC SU-ARX01BT costs more than $100 and at that level I would still expect giving up some SQ compared to a good source.

Especially with a decent IEM like the SE215 I am not surprised that you can clearly hear a difference and being BA IEMs with crossover you might additionally face some frequency response changes caused by a possibly high impedance of the BT unit.

SE215 is a dynamic driver iirc. I had a pair when they first came out.

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Fwiw, I noticed that the BT20 prefers high efficiency IEMs. They sound pretty good with my TFZ No.3 but comparatively lifeless with the Moondrop Kanas. And yes, I can hear the hiss, but that's pretty common with these kinds of BT devices.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Fwiw, I noticed that the BT20 prefers high efficiency IEMs. They sound pretty good with my TFZ No.3 but comparatively lifeless with the Moondrop Kanas. And yes, I can hear the hiss, but that's pretty common with these kinds of BT devices.

Hi, what do you mean by "high efficiency"? you mean high sensitivity or high impedance?
i was wondering if i could try those with Shuoer Tape or Try i3!
Thanks!

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi, what do you mean by "high efficiency"? you mean high sensitivity or high impedance?
i was wondering if i could try those with Shuoer Tape or Try i3!
Thanks!

I meant high sensitivity. Maybe I'm using the term inappropriately, but they're basically interchangeable in my head. There's more hiss with sensitive IEMs but there's also more volume with the available gain. That said, I really think the BT20 is meant to be used with high sensitivity IEMs as it won't drive even moderately power hungry IEMs satisfactorily. So, probably above 100dB/mW?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Clear then! But how about their weight, do they feel heavy on the ears?
Can you also pls show a close up picture of the TRN BT20s MMCX connectors? i'd like to see if the have round or flat groove.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back