Receiving AT AD700s in the mail. need to know something about them before opening.
Oct 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JayNetTech5

100+ Head-Fier
I can understand many say these have a lack in bass response. Some are saying that they sound tinny like cans. I am worried because I am afraid that they are going to have this sharp sound, like a knife jabbing into your eardrums. Like setting the 4k herts on an EQ to high and you get that sharp jabbing, thin upper middle range, very aggressive towards your ear, like a thin sharp whisper. I bought a cheap pair of headphones with that issue and it was unbearable, I had to keep adjusting the volume. What are your thoughts on the headphones, should I return them once they come in? Or can my ears handle them?

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 12
I own a pair and they don't have much bass response at all to be quite honest, but I don't find anything in their sound to be sharp on the ears in any way. The bass needs some lift to make them really enjoyable however.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I own a pair and they don't have much bass response at all to be quite honest, but I don't find anything in their sound to be sharp on the ears in any way. The bass needs some lift to make them really enjoyable however.

I want them for classical and instrumental music. I want kind of an open spacious surround sound, like a 3d effect.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 12
They're not too bright or glaring, and I can't tell any noticeable ringing in their upper mids-treble response, so you should be ok there.  They have a decent amount of upper-mid bass, and should be able to fully render most of your classical instruments properly.  They do lack a fair amount of low bass, so things like standup bass, organs etc won't be as powerful as they should.

Their soundstage has always been a mixed bag.  It can be absolutely huge sounding at times, even to the point of being *almost* in front of you, but the layering and imaging within that soundstage isn't as good as more refined headphones, it's not as articulate of a headphone.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
They're not too bright or glaring, and I can't tell any noticeable ringing in their upper mids-treble response, so you should be ok there.  They have a decent amount of upper-mid bass, and should be able to fully render most of your classical instruments properly.  They do lack a fair amount of low bass, so things like standup bass, organs etc won't be as powerful as they should.

Their soundstage has always been a mixed bag.  It can be absolutely huge sounding at times, even to the point of being *almost* in front of you, but the layering and imaging within that soundstage isn't as good as more refined headphones, it's not as articulate of a headphone.

I already own the jvc harx900s, and I wanted to see how they compare to the ad700s. I am not sure if there is a difference in soundstage.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Another thing is people complaining about built quality, I mean it's not the cheapest headphone I payed for and is in fact the most expensive. I just hope it's built good.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
It feels and looks cheap, but it's a very good build quality.  I'm perfectly ok with tossing it around indoors.

Is it because it's hollow and light? I don't care then. XD I want light headphones because the ones i have are heavy and make me feel dizzy after using them. I heard the whole headphone is made out of titanium alloy, except for the grills.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Lol nah I don't think they could get away with selling a headphone for 100 dollars with a frame of titanium alloy.  Not even the HD800 is metal, it's some kind of very hard plastic that's painted.

their website states, it has honeycomb aluminum casing with magnesium structure. Also, what really annoys me about this headphone is how it gets so many positive reviews, yet so many complaints even though they rate it 5 stars.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm not sure if it's a magnesium structure or not.  I stuck the AD700 in a fridge, an the frame definitely doesn't get as cold as the grills, which are indeed aluminum.  Either way it's a sturdy little thing considering it's so light.  

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I'm not sure if it's a magnesium structure or not.  I stuck the AD700 in a fridge, an the frame definitely doesn't get as cold as the grills, which are indeed aluminum.  Either way it's a sturdy little thing considering it's so light.  

I need something light, considering my head feels pressure from big headphones. I usually rock when I listen to music and find my neck stiff afterwards. I generally use earbuds, which are failing and are about to die, thanks to the ipod for being so slippery and dropping every minute with the headphones plugged in. Anyway, how is the soundstage for you, what impression does it give you. Does it feel 3D, wider sideways, or in your face, etc...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back