Receivers/Integrated/Transports with BEST headphone jack?
Sep 14, 2014 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MozartMan1201

100+ Head-Fier
Over the last few years, with the new line of high-end receivers and integrated, some of which even have a dedicated amp circuitry for the headphone jack, I think the gap may be narrowing between them and stand-alone head-amps.  Currently, I am interested in the following models --

Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier $7000 (ESS9018 DAC)
Yamaha RX-A3030 Receiver $1500 (ESS9016 DAC)
Oppo-105 Universal Player $1000 (ESS9016 DAC)

Anyone know other 'multi'-products with a high quality dedicated head-amp?  

I was thinking of getting the Oppo HA-1 but does it really sound *that* much better?  

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Why not try vintage equipment?  They give you better option for lower price.  A $300-$500 dollars vintage int amp could match a $2k modern int amp in sound.  Now if you also need a DAC it will be a total different story.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 5
All integrated amps have great headphone outputs, regardless of price. Cheaper int amps for 300-400 dollars with outclass the headphone amps for similar price in terms of power and ability to drive headphones with impedance. They also match them in sound quality, and sometimes outdo them.  There's no point in buying a separate headamp if you have an integrated amp already, unless you're buying a high end headphone amp for high end headphones. With some mid end headphones for 300-400 dollars, you won't be able to tell much difference. I tried like 30-40 integrated amps and receivers last year as a big test, and not a single one had a bad sounding headphone output. They all had totally silent, very powerful and clean headphone outs.

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Why not try vintage equipment?  They give you better option for lower price.  A $300-$500 dollars vintage int amp could match a $2k modern int amp in sound.  Now if you also need a DAC it will be a total different story.

Yeah I suppose I could hook up a DAC to some vintage gear like Yamaha CR-2020 (which my local vintage hifi shop has for sale). Are you saying its headamp AND speaker-amp sound as good,if not better, than modern equipment?

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Its sound as good to some modern equipment.  Obviously if you go up higher in price then it will be better with modern equipment.  Basically you get better value for vintage equipment if you could find one that doesn't need much work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back