Receiver...
Jan 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ARealHero

New Head-Fier
So I recently hooked up my ATH-M50s to my Sony STR-K502 receiver and while I can feel the headphone moving a lot when I put my hand on them, the bass doesn't rattle and punch like I'd like it too. Is it that my receiver isn't good enough? I believe I have it set at the max bass of +6dB right now.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
So I recently hooked up my ATH-M50s to my Sony STR-K502 receiver and while I can feel the headphone moving a lot when I put my hand on them, the bass doesn't rattle and punch like I'd like it too. Is it that my receiver isn't good enough? I believe I have it set at the max bass of +6dB right now.

Hmm probably you were expecting a lot of bass from the M50? 

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 16
Hi!

To my honest opinion, ATH-M50 will not benefits from amp. Any amp in general. While ATH-M50 have bass, it lacks control. If you are wiling/able to sell or return it, I would recommend the ATH-WS77 or WS70z. That is the real thing! Bass like never before.

Billson :)

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

I'm guessing it might be an impedance (Ohms) issue.
Normally (preferred) you would want the headphones to have at least 8 times (or more) the impedance of whatever headphone output your plugged into.
So the 50-Ohm ATH-M50s would sound best plugged into a headphone jack with an impedance of 6-Ohms or less, chances are the Sony's headphone jack is around 40 to 60-Ohm.
i'm guessing most receivers have a headphone jack with a high impedance
I'm guessing the ATH-M50s bass is bloated or losing detail.
Try the ATH-M50 with a quality portable audio player, usually they have a low impedance, see if the ATH-M50 sound better plugged into them.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
Hi!

To my honest opinion, ATH-M50 will not benefits from amp. Any amp in general. While ATH-M50 have bass, it lacks control. If you are wiling/able to sell or return it, I would recommend the ATH-WS77 or WS70z. That is the real thing! Bass like never before.

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

I had already considered returning it and getting the Beyeydynamic COP or the DT 770 but the seller that I got them from was removed from eBay. I think the bass is controlled pretty well, unlike most bass heavy headphones i.e. Beats by Dre

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
I'm guessing it might be an impedance (Ohms) issue.
Normally (preferred) you would want the headphones to have at least 8 times (or more) the impedance of whatever headphone output your plugged into.
So the 50-Ohm ATH-M50s would sound best plugged into a headphone jack with an impedance of 6-Ohms or less, chances are the Sony's headphone jack is around 40 to 60-Ohm.
i'm guessing most receivers have a headphone jack with a high impedance
I'm guessing the ATH-M50s bass is bloated or losing detail.
Try the ATH-M50 with a quality portable audio player, usually they have a low impedance, see if the ATH-M50 sound better plugged into them.

Any examples or ideas of which one I should get? I'm sort of an audio noob so I don't really notice small stuff like detail loss the way most experienced audiophiles do. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
I had already considered returning it and getting the Beyeydynamic COP or the DT 770 but the seller that I got them from was removed from eBay. 

Not a good indicator 
eek.gif
confused.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 16
I had already considered returning it and getting the Beyeydynamic COP or the DT 770 but the seller that I got them from was removed from eBay. I think the bass is controlled pretty well, unlike most bass heavy headphones i.e. Beats by Dre

Good! Glad that you found something that you like! :) why not try Amazon? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back