Receiver or dedicated headphone amp for K701
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Soul363

New Head-Fier
Recently got my k701s and i've been running them through my computer inbuilt sound card, i was planning to get the m-stage to drive these cans. Sound quality from my computer was just average, able to drive them but not to their full potential. However when i ran them through my Onkyo receiver, the soundstage opened up, better instrument seperation and more 'body' to the sound. And at the moment i'm happy with what i'm hearing :D But the only thing is my receiver is out in the living room and not to my computer so whenever i feel like having a listening section, i will need to load my playlist into a usb drive and plug it in to my receiver. Kinda inconvenient. So i would like to know if getting the m-stage would be any better or the same as running through my receiver. Thanks much! :D

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Recently got my k701s and I've been running them through my computer inbuilt sound card, i was planning to get the m-stage to drive these cans. Sound quality from my computer was just average, able to drive them but not to their full potential. However when i ran them through my Onkyo receiver, the sound stage opened up, better instrument separation and more 'body' to the sound. And at the moment I'm happy with what I'm hearing :D But the only thing is my receiver is out in the living room and not to my computer so whenever i feel like having a listening section, i will need to load my playlist into a USB drive and plug it in to my receiver. Kinda inconvenient. So i would like to know if getting the m-stage would be any better or the same as running through my receiver. Thanks much! :D

First off, your Onkyo receiver has a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then whatever come built in your motherboard.
So, you could get an decent to good external DAC for $30-$60, or a used sound card like the Asus Xonar DX ($50) which comes with a decent DAC.
The O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155) seems to be well liked by it's users.
You can just leave the O2's battery recharger plugged into it next to your computer.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
First off, your Onkyo receiver has a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then whatever come built in your motherboard.
So, you could get an decent to good external DAC for $30-$60, or a used sound card like the Asus Xonar DX ($50) which comes with a decent DAC.
The O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155) seems to be well liked by it's users.
You can just leave the O2's battery recharger plugged into it next to your computer.

Hmm, what DAC would you recommend for that price range? I'm looking at the HRT music streamer 2 at the moment but currently i do not have any amps. I'm running my headphone through my receivers and is satisfied with the sound but i'm wondering if a dedicated headphone amp will be better though. I read that the O2 with the k701 is very cold and lifeless, i would prefer a much more warmer sound..
Thanks for your reply!

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Hmm, what DAC would you recommend for that price range? I'm looking at the HRT music streamer 2 at the moment but currently i do not have any amps. I'm running my headphone through my receivers and is satisfied with the sound but I'm wondering if a dedicated headphone amp will be better though. I read that the O2 with the k701 is very cold and lifeless, i would prefer a much more warmer sound.

The DAC Destroyer sells on eBay for around $40-$45. What a name for a DAC.
You could always take a chance with a $60 to $120 single tube headphone amplifier off eBay.
Tubes add "warmth" & "soul" to audio.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 9
I would disagree that the k701 / O2 combo is lifeless. There's plenty of musicality in the pairing with some pretty decent bass. I'd argue that if you don't like the O2 with the k701, you probably don't like the k701 sound in general. (Having said that, I still prefer my tube amp with the k701.)

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 9
I just recently purchased the Q701 and missed a few good deals on ebay for dac/amps.  I'm tired of waiting.  I ordered a Fiio E10 off amazon.  I have "backup" headphones-  I figure it doesn't hurt to have a backup amp.  Now I can take my time and look for a few months if necessary.  And I have a baseline to compare other dac/amps to. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for you replies, i do enjoy the sound of the k701 :D but from what i read around here, the O2 is makes the k701 'lifeless'. Perhaps to each preference.
Yeah, so far my receiver is driving it well enough and for me to enjoy my listening sessions but i'm not sure if that is the k701 potential.

What do you guys think of the little dot mkiii? I'm considering that tube amp as my amp after reading some comments on how well it sounds with the 701.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for you replies, i do enjoy the sound of the k701 :D but from what i read around here, the O2 is makes the k701 'lifeless'. Perhaps to each preference.
Yeah, so far my receiver is driving it well enough and for me to enjoy my listening sessions but i'm not sure if that is the k701 potential.
What do you guys think of the little dot mkiii? I'm considering that tube amp as my amp after reading some comments on how well it sounds with the 701.

I just started a new thread "The AKG Appreciation and Information Thread", try posting your question(s) there, trying to breath some life into the new thread.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 9
<subscribed>
looking for impressions about the O2 and other budget options as well. Is the O2 cold an lifeless or is that a characteristic of the headphones themselves? The O2 is supposed to be basically a 'wire with gain' amp....gives you exactly what you put in, only louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back