Receiver antenna needed (old pioneer)
Nov 20, 2008 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

brown274

100+ Head-Fier
I need a antenna for my am/fm reciever and have no clue what to get. I want something powerful to pick up am. I need something I can mount on wall or ceiling. Thanks, here is a pic of the back

Pioneer SX-580
3044944202_2360283227_b.jpg

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 8
As far as I know The 300-Ohm balanced input is for an external antenna that is mounted on the roof. The 75-Ohm input should work with just a wire of appropriate length. Around 119" of wire non-terminated(unbalanced) for FM.

AM is a bit harder. You need 231.5 ft of wire. I would use magnet wire because it is insulated and you can wrap it around something like PVC pipe. Don't overlap the windings and use something to glue them down with or cover the whole thing with shrink wrap. Leave enough wire at the beginning an the end so you can mount your antenna where you wish.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 8
You can build a cheap dipole using instructions easily found on the net out of 300 ohm antenna wire. I did this and put the antenna in my attic. The station I listen to is 50 miles away and it comes in clear as a bell.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 8
Radio Shack sells a very nice external antenna for about $30. It goes on the roof, but that's how to get the best reception.

You might also want to look at some of the ARRL (ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page) publications on building your own antenna. They have a number of books and tutorials.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know that there should be a directional ferrite rod aerial attached to those wires on the right of the picture for AM right?

Yea there is, but it will only pick-up a few AM stations. FM is perfect.

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea there is, but it will only pick-up a few AM stations. FM is perfect.

Exactly. Thats why I suggested a full quarter wave AM antenna. Wire is cheap and PVC, even cheaper. The ferrite rod antennas are highly directional. I suspect that by adjusting it's position you will get more stations than you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back