Received the 333ES today!! (Well yesterday to be more precise..)
Oct 9, 2001 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Nico

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Well the box finally arrived today and man it is huge (JandR double boxed it). And as everyone said, the machine is well built and doesn't feel flimsy. I listened to the SACD samplers and while I didn't spend a lot of time with them, I did notice that the sound was really up front and very detailed. In non-audiophile lingo I'd call it a "magnified sound", not just in volume but in detail as well.

I did notice 2 strange things, however. While taking the CDP out of the box, I felt something loose moving inside the CDP, sort of a rolling sound. But when I plugged the CDP, it worked fine.
What's the cause of this weird noise? Could it be the tray mechanism?

Also, is the warranty for Sony ES components 5 years? I got a card that says that it's only for 3 years but maybe I got the wrong one. Should I get a correct form from Sony?

Well thanks again for all your input on this player. I think I'll like it a lot. I'll write more comments after giving this CDP a little time to break in.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 17
Hello Nico,

Congrats on your new machine ; the track forward/back
knob is very handy I find ...no squinting to see which of the little
buttons is the one for the purpose.

No idea what noise could be, perhpas it was just the somewhat large tray moving ? (there's got to be *some* vertical play in it.

On the warranty : Lots of people report getting Canadian Warranty cards in ES Sony SACD players (and get worried about the Warranty). The card is of zero consequence. The only thing that matters is that it's bought in the USA from an authorized Sony ES dealer (some are authorized for local only, some from mail-order and phone orders, and some for internet sales). J&R should be authorized Sony ES dealer's and so you should have the full warranty. The ironic thing is that I'd guess your machine is warrantied in the USA ....but not in Canada (in spite of the card). Anyway, no need to worry about the warranty, you should have the 5 years.

Martin.

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 17
Hello monk!

Thanks for your reply and I feel better now about the warranty.

As for the noise, I think I should I add that it sounds like a rolling metal ball inside the machine it sort of "bangs" against the cover. I don't think it actually hits the cover but it feels that way. Strangely, I only head the "bang" on one side.

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Congrats, Nico and welcome to team SACD! I did not notice any loose components in my machine, although I didn't shake it to see what I would hear! I'll check it out when I get it back from ModWright. I have felt so deprived without my 333!

And yes, the class expects a full report! Cheers.

markl

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 17
If you haggle with them (J&R) you can get the unit for $520. I am looking to purchase one as well. I have not decided where exactly to purchase this unit. I would recommend that if you live on the west coast or are good friends with someone who does, get one from Good Guys. Also, a note about J&R (this was a post from audioasylum so take that into accout):
"My333ES came with no sampler, and they said they had to charge more than Oade because Oade was not an authorized Sony dealer, a lie. I wrote them 5 emails on this topic, none answered. They also tried to sell me the 333ES as multichannel, claiming all SACD's were multichannel."

While I cannot verify that the above really happened, it still makes me a bit skeptical about purchasing a unit from them. Keep in mind that the Sampler CD that comes with unit can fetch a good price if sold by itself.

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 17
Hi Bob,
I see you made it over to the asylum! I'll re-post my reply here, as I think there is another consideration for potential 333 owners.

If you are unable to find the 333 at $399, rather than spend the $570 at J&R, I would recommend looking into the newer 222. It's a multi-channel player that has the "new and improved" DACs, but build quality is not equivalent to the 333. Of course, you can always get the 222 mod-ed as well.
List on the 222 is around $800, but you can get it much cheaper at Oade Bros. Lots of the inmates at audio asylum use and recommend Oade.

If you are thinking of mod-ing the unit, you void your warrantee anyway, so you may as well get it from Oade for cheap. Something to chew on.

markl

Oct 9, 2001 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 17
I got the 333ES from jandr for 520.

The official price for them is 600 I think.

Their shipping is pretty reasonable ($10 2-day UPS) and they have an acceptable return policy (restocking fee may apply).

If you live in CA, go to a Good Guys store and see if the 333ES is in stock for $399!!!! You can also use the 333ES pricematch on this forum and see if jandr will match the price ($399).

Oct 9, 2001 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 17
Oade Brothers (www.oade.com) usually has excellent pricing on Sony, and is an authorized dealer. ISTR they can't sell the ES series over the net, however, if you pick up the phone...

Oct 9, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 17
Yes,...I think Oade a authorized to mail-order (ie, phone/fax orders) for Sony ES. So they can sell, just can't have the machines on the website and take direct net orders ...

Martin.

Oct 9, 2001 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 17
J&R will sell for $520, PLUS they have free shipping on ALL Sony products this week. The 333ES is *easily* worth that price.

Even better, if you have a Good Guys store, as others have said, it's only $399. If your local Good Guys doesn't have it in stock, they will order it for you.

If you have an American Express card (Blue, Gold, or Corporate), you can buy from J&R and then do an AmEx price match using the Good Guys price.

Oct 9, 2001 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 17
So how much does Oade want for the 222?

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 17
Just a warning: the sales people at Goodguys in CA are real sons of <censored>. Only met one good guy, rest did some really <censored> things. To make a long story short, if they don't have it in stock, you're not getting one ever. No more are coming in. Even if they charge your credit card $430 after tax and promise it by the next day.

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
Just a warning: the sales people at Goodguys in CA are real sons of <censored>. Only met one good guy, rest did some really <censored> things. To make a long story short, if they don't have it in stock, you're not getting one ever. No more are coming in. Even if they charge your credit card $430 after tax and promise it by the next day.

Ack!!! That really sucks
frown.gif

If anyone is looking for a 333ES and does not live near a Good Guys I would suggest posting a message at the AudioAsylum site saying that you would be interested in purchasing one. It looks like that could be a GREAT way to go
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 17
RE: Warranty...for some odd reason the unit only has 3 years in Canada and 5 in the US. Then again the unit may be chaeper here and you can buy the extended warranty if you wish.

The last I checked the 333 was selling for $1200.00 in Canada(the New Rega planet can be had for that).

For $400.00 US which is around $600.00 CDN the 333 would be an excellent buy. Some of you will now know why I didn't care for the unit at its $1200.00CDN price. $600.00, would get me looking hard at one...if I was in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back