Received R10 Replacement Ear Pads
Jul 4, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #46 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
When production is in-house, the engineering time when the production line has to be started up and taken down or if it's left up how much is spent on the company on that little section of real estate devoted to the sewing area. If it's out-sourced then you have to have folks commenicating back and forth to setup what is probably the run of a few hundred pair.

Do you really believe Sony made them? IMO they maybe order them from another party who is in the business and know what they are doing for a reasonable cost, personally I do not think that Sony made them.....IMO it is more expensive to get the Greek lambskin than the labor....

Honestly, I have not find out, as I do not have the templates, but I'm assuming that I could copy it even myself, I worked for a few years in a shop that made baseball gloves and the like, and having the templates, it will be a pice of cake, or maybe made any skilled person in a shoe repair shop (or maybe an upholstery shop) make them, for less than 50-60 a pair, I had ordered some other custom jobs, for furniture, a lot more complex and with a lot more material for 50.00-100.00 bucks....again if I had to pay 269.00 I will try everything first....fortunatelly the CD3K pads are 17.00 each.....

Jul 5, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #47 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Do you really believe Sony made them? IMO they maybe order them from another party who is in the business and know what they are doing for a reasonable cost, personally I do not think that Sony made them.....IMO it is more expensive to get the Greek lambskin than the labor....

It's hard to say without knowing more about the companies internals than I do. I have seen both approaches used by companies sort of willy-nilly. Personally, I would think outsourcing would make the most sense, but many times corporate decisions don't use common sense to arrive at a conclusion, especially if you have some higher ups involved. Usually when you get the brass involved, and I'm guessing they were on a top of the line piece of gear like this, ego tends to drive the decisions instead of sound judgement. I would think that out-sourcingwould be the hot setup though, depending on whether or not they employ folks for other purposes who can do this sort of work in small batches.

Jul 5, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #48 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
It's hard to say without knowing more about the companies internals than I do. I have seen both approaches used by companies sort of willy-nilly. Personally, I would think outsourcing would make the most sense, but many times corporate decisions don't use common sense to arrive at a conclusion, especially if you have some higher ups involved. Usually when you get the brass involved, and I'm guessing they were on a top of the line piece of gear like this, ego tends to drive the decisions instead of sound judgement. I would think that out-sourcingwould be the hot setup though, depending on whether or not they employ folks for other purposes who can do this sort of work in small batches.

Other than the way they attached, and the material they are not much different of the ones used in the CD3K, I think they order those, maybe those same guys do the ones for the R-10 given the moment, I do not think they would have a lot of pads there, what for? They just made a few R-10 a year, and I do not think that the replacement orders would be that many neither......but as you say we never know unless you know the internals of them.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back