Received my pico! But can't hear any difference with my comp!
Feb 18, 2008 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

Kel Ghu

100+ Head-Fier
YOOHOO! I received my pico! And now I understand why it is called pico! It's tiny! It's much smaller than what I thought when I looked at the pictures! It is really a piece of art! My girlfriend even said my pico was cute!
biggrin.gif

Though I haven't got the chance to try it with a decent full size headphone. I am abroad for 6 months, I left my K701 at home... I tried my pico with my pair of AKG K81 DJ and they sound the same on the pico w/ DAC as they sound on my laptop (Lenovo T61p). I was a bit disappointed... My soundcard supports upto 32 bits at 192Khz (soundmax HD) and I think foobar can upsample 16bits tracks to 32bits. And the K81 is easy to drive I guess... Maybe that's why? :?

Anyway, I need to buy a pair of cans... What should I buy? HD650? D5000? D2000? W5000? DT880? DT990? DT770? Ahh...

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 81
I don't know what kind of advise I need... I just think it is wierd that my laptop sounds the same as my pico out of my K81 cans.
I am connected as follow: Foobar > ASIO4ALL > Pico > AKJ K81DJ
Am I doing something wrong?
I like the "how to appreciate a vast difference from onboard card", how do I do that?
smily_headphones1.gif

I do need an advice for my next pair of cans. I want the best but completly different from my K701. I want something more bassy definitly. Besides that, I am open to anything. I am thinking of a pair of HD650.

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 81
Some headphones (I'm not familiar with your pair) are not capable of registering changes in amps, sources, etc. The advantage is that they tend to be forgiving of badly recorded material and poor sources. The disadvantage is that you miss out on hearing what a good source and well-recorded music can sound like, as well miss out on picking up on subtle differences when upgrading amps and cables.

As for new headphones, I'm quite happy with my ESW9s and the HD600s with the pico. The HD650 does not do as well as the 600s.

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 81
The AKG K81 DJ is "congested" and I did not like how it felt "muffled" the music. I was listening to John Coltrane MFSL CDs via my old setup [iPod 5G - ALO Jumbo Cryo - Hornet "M"], and everything just felt heavily blanketed.

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 81
In my experiences (30+ years) the changes are very subtle and depend heavily on the music being auditioned. I have a set of very high quality recorded material that I listen for specific things that are outstanding in the cut. I then find that the differences are more apparent after you have had a chance to listen for a period of time, say days/weeks and then swap out one single component. I find at the time I make the switch the differences can be very obvious. If I do A/B/A/B back and forth, my memory isn't as clear and on what is new/different.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YOOHOO! I received my pico! And now I understand why it is called pico! It's tiny! It's much smaller than what I thought when I looked at the pictures! It is really a piece of art! My girlfriend even said my pico was cute!
biggrin.gif

Though I haven't got the chance to try it with a decent full size headphone. I am abroad for 6 months, I left my K701 at home... I tried my pico with my pair of AKG K81 DJ and they sound the same on the pico w/ DAC as they sound on my laptop (Lenovo T61p). I was a bit disappointed... My soundcard supports upto 32 bits at 192Khz (soundmax HD) and I think foobar can upsample 16bits tracks to 32bits. And the K81 is easy to drive I guess... Maybe that's why? :?

Anyway, I need to buy a pair of cans... What should I buy? HD650? D5000? D2000? W5000? DT880? DT990? DT770? Ahh...

That's really too bad. I'm so sorry to hear that. Now, sell me your Pico!!!

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 81
listen to it for a week or two, then go back to your old setup. if you still don't notice any differences, sell. that's what the used market is for.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
listen to it for a week or two, then go back to your old setup. if you still don't notice any differences, sell. that's what the used market is for.

Very valid point. If you can't tell the difference, it's bliss. I don't spend my money on silver cables and exotic power cords because I can't hear the difference. I feel sorry for the people that can. I'm spending my money on music instead.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back