Received my balanced Grado HP-2
Apr 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh...I wants....but can't possibly put down 2+ grand required right now...

The PS-1 goes for 2+ grand probably because only 50 made it's way to the US (supply and demand). The HP-1000's have been going for $1400-1700 lately in the forums, depending on condition. Anymore than that and you are being ripped off.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #33 of 61
Are your K340 fully modded? If not, do it and you will get better/more bass. HP1000/2 are way different than K340, not even talking about soundstage, which doesn't exist on HP1k at all. I am not saying you wouldn't like it, but compare with K340 isn't correct, imo. It is really hard to say which headphones sounds like HP1000. From what I have heard, non of them were even close to them. I also think that HP1000 may sound much better from an good SS amp than from out of tuby one, but me never tried it, unfortunately, only on tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested to know how close to the HP2 the AD2000 really sound... if its close, then like MaloS, i'll be all over them...

I'm actually looking for a pair of headphones that has the magical mids of the K340 with more bass impact and some have suggested the HP2, but i really can't afford them... so if the AD2000 is that good, then I'm off to get one for meself..
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Is that flats or bowls? Cause I remember liking the sound of that very much, so if ASR's claim that AD2000 is alot like that holds true, I am all over the AT xD

I believe that they have flats. Not being a Grado expert, I'm not sure. I've been meaning to ask JP#'s and will do it today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehehehe, you look very cute in that pic Guzziguy, congratulations for your cans too. I've never listened to any HP-1000, but for all the descriptions of their SQ I think they would be of my liking way more than other models, but for the PS which I haven't listened either.
The second of my problems with Grado cans is their fit, I don't find them any comfortable for anything more than 30 minutes listening.

HeadphoneAddict, IMHO no wire change, not even balancing a pair of cans, is magic. There are differences, improvements and things that worsen, but the flesh is at the driver and how it's mounted on the cups. I can understand you miss the HP-2, a RS-1 no matter which cable you drop at it will make it sound really different. I can't speak for the HF-1, is it really that close to HP-2's sound signature?

Rgrds

Thanks, for both the compliment and the congratulations.
cool.gif
I haven't heard a PS-1 but it's described as being much less neutral but with a very liquid mid-range. That sounds good but the $2.5K price tag is more than I'm willing to pay. Of course, I used to say that about an HP-2 level price tag too.
eek.gif
So far I'm not having any comfort issue. If I do, I always have a K340 or Darth Vader to play with until my head feels better.
wink.gif

I agree with your view that the magic is in the drivers and enclosures, and that changing cables will only make subtle differences. I briefly heard an HF-1 a long time ago and don't feel qualified to compare it with an HP-1000. To me, the RS-1 sound signature is not close.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that they have flats. Not being a Grado expert, I'm not sure. I've been meaning to ask JP#'s and will do it today.

If the drivers sit 1 mm away from your ears, they are "flats". Bowls are, well...bowl-like and seat the drivers about a 1/2" away from your sound receptors. Bowls give bigger soundstage Ken, but detract from the bass.

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the drivers sit 1 mm away from your ears, they are "flats". Bowls are, well...bowl-like and seat the drivers about a 1/2" away from your sound receptors. Bowls give bigger soundstage Ken, but detract from the bass.

Can you gauge by that picture? Also, do you agree with ASR's assertion with regards to similarities of ATH-AD2000 and Grado HP's ? (or more so, how different are they and in what way?)

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Can you gauge by that picture? Also, do you agree with ASR's assertion with regards to similarities of ATH-AD2000 and Grado HP's ? (or more so, how different are they and in what way?)

No, I can't tell. They look pretty similar on a head from the side. I just changed mine from flats to bowls and looked in the mirror. They have almost the same profile.

Never heard the AD2000's, but I see there's one for sale:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ad2000-312691/

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #38 of 61
Congrats!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the HP-2s. I'd imagine the recabling can only make them better.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I can't tell. They look pretty similar on a head from the side. I just changed mine from flats to bowls and looked in the mirror. They have almost the same profile.

Never heard the AD2000's, but I see there's one for sale:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ad2000-312691/

Ya I see that too, but I don't want to just bite and figure out on my own, can't afford such experiments.

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

do you agree with ASR's assertion with regards to similarities of ATH-AD2000 and Grado HP's?

Nope.

If anything, the A-T's are closer to the GS-1000's. But definitely not the HP-1000's, imo.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #42 of 61
first: the HP2s that Ken has have flats on them as intended by Grado,bowls kinds defeat the purpose of the HP2s and kill the sound for me at least.

On the AD2ks are the poor mans HP2, the AD2ks are great headphones but they are not HP2s other than the fact that they are both headphones. The hp2s are vastly superior to the AD2ks to me. I see the AD2ks as an awesome buy in it's category but feel the 650s are better with a great amp. The AD2ks do nothing wrong but they do not do the mids like the HP2s do. The AD2Ks are more lush than the HP2s are with the HP2s there is far more detail in the mids but they lack extension and the AD2ks extend more than the HP2s do.

SR100s with HP1000 drivers are the poor mans HP2s IMHO

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #43 of 61
The Datsun 510 was considered to be the "Poor Man's BMW" by many who lived in the Bronx off the Grand Concourse in the '80's.

Wow...that was random!

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #44 of 61
I have the ATs since last august or so, and listened briefly to the HP1, HP2 and PS1 during the last Montreal meet, so here are my impressions from the impressions thread :

Quote:

HP1 and HP2 : incredible phones, but they didn't impress me right away. I found them on the 'Esound + M^3' to be really close to my AD2000 on the headfive, although they were slightly brighter, and had a more constricted soundstage. They had a tad less lower mids and a bit more mid-treble, but had no real depth and height. However, they had a more neutral tone on acoustic stuff (and I guess on everything, but I only had time to listen to 4 songs on 2 different CDs), as the ATs give a meatier tone to guitar by enhancing the vibrato of the chord. I really believe that they would scale really well with balancing and adding some high-end stuff behind them (to really bring up their neutrality and tone potential, as well as giving them more detail to work with and bass detail and tightness).

So yeah, on a low to mid setup, the ATs are poor man's HP1/2. But I have never heard either on a fully blasted setup but I feel the HP1/2 would scale better as they are extremely neutral and accurate. On high-end setups, I think the source and amp would make the ATs midrange coloration come forth.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I briefly considered the Furutech FP-701 XLR connectors but then I realized that my XLR interconnects had Neutrik connectors. Wouldn't really have gotten much benefit without replacing them.

i don't follow.

Quote:

My two balanced amps are still on order but I should be getting one of them by CanJam '08!
smily_headphones1.gif

my guess is something from singlepower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back