Received K701 as gift....amping issue
Apr 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by transient orca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a PA2V2 for sale right now.

PA2V2 is a portable that is meant for portable headphones/earphones. K701 needs a desktop amp powered by AC instead of batteries. Kindly look for used solid state desktop amps if available.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PA2V2 is a portable that is meant for portable headphones/earphones. K701 needs a desktop amp powered by AC instead of batteries. Kindly look for used solid state desktop amps if available.

K701 does run fine on battery powered portable amps. In fact, my XM4 have way more power to drive a K701.. Even my iPhone can drive them loud enough. I own many different amps and K701 is not that hard to drive.. Maybe if it was Senn Hd 600 or 650.. Then you'll probably need a desktop amp.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #18 of 42
Mini3 is an excellent (very) low budget choice, if you can build your own. It is possible to buy an already made unit, but it will cost more.
It's quite powerful for a battery operated little amp. Specs rate it 300mW in 32ohm, which is a lot.
It does a very good job with K701 and complements them nicely tonally.
A solid choice.

The only commercial amps I can think of would be Bravo or Ideed hybrid amps. They cost around 8-90$ on Ebay ('Buy it now' price), but can be had for less in auctions.
I've seen Bravo amps selling for as little as 35$.
As far as sound quality goes they're very nice for such a low price and drives well the K701.
A search here and on rock-grotto forum will provide a more complete picture.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalpig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "vintage receiver"?

An old, quality receiver. The receivers from the 60-80s had decent headphone outs. The better units of the day can be found on ebay or your local ads for next to nothing because there aren't many dedicated two channel fans out there. All the babyboomers are dumping them as they get old(er).

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #20 of 42
get a vintage reciever which weighs 10 kg and has muscle
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a vintage reciever which weighs 10 kg and has muscle
biggrin.gif

And all the knobs and switches are operated by hand.. Not by remote
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 does run fine on battery powered portable amps. In fact, my XM4 have way more power to drive a K701.. Even my iPhone can drive them loud enough. I own many different amps and K701 is not that hard to drive.. Maybe if it was Senn Hd 600 or 650.. Then you'll probably need a desktop amp.

Define 'fine'. Loud is not an indicator of sufficient amplification - any $50 amp can get them to go really loud. Loud is not what amps are for.

The 701 is a pig to drive to potential. It needs power, as its sensitivity is very low. Battery portables don't put out the sort of power it needs.

If you've never heard them from a decent desktop amp, then you won't have heard how they're supposed to sound.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An old, quality receiver. The receivers from the 60-80s had decent headphone outs. The better units of the day can be found on ebay or your local ads for next to nothing because there aren't many dedicated two channel fans out there. All the babyboomers are dumping them as they get old(er).

You mean something like this, right?

2270A.jpg

These kind of things go for pretty cheap on eBay these days...

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Define 'fine'. Loud is not an indicator of sufficient amplification - any $50 amp can get them to go really loud. Loud is not what amps are for.

The 701 is a pig to drive to potential. It needs power, as its sensitivity is very low. Battery portables don't put out the sort of power it needs.

If you've never heard them from a decent desktop amp, then you won't have heard how they're supposed to sound.

Haha.. Why don't you tell me how K701 supposed to sound like.. Hahaha..

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

2270A.jpg

Those kind of thing with Mcintosh on it.. Not so cheap...

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha.. Why don't you tell me how K701 supposed to sound like.. Hahaha..

Better you tell me when you buy a decent amp for them.

Easy to drive doesn't mean getting getting plenty of volume easily. I can only assume that because you think they run fine (loud enough) from an iPhone, that is your only measure of an amps performance.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

2270A.jpg

Oh wow!! I would be into that just for the ridiculous factor, although it's impractical because my source is a Macbook, located on a generic dorm desk. Is something from that era capable of being connected to a computer? I image there must be some sort of cable for it, but the incongruity of retro-to-new is so strange!

I'm keeping my eyes open for some of the amps listed in the thread (Mini3, Bravo, etc). Any others I should be looking for? (preferably solid-state)

Also, any opinions on studio amplifiers? There are definitely some that are within my budget, but I hear really mixed things. A $20 Samson Q5 is great for my wallet, but if it sounds like a POS then what's the point..? I know that there is so much more to the 701s than what I'm hearing right now - there's a distinct lack of clarity and energy that I feel would be fixed with amping. I mean, the pair I demoed made even Lady Gaga's voice sound good, so there is definitely a missing component with my current set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back