Reccomendations for a college student
Apr 10, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 42
gshan and I both took advantage of a clearance sale of 212 Pro's at the Good Guys(!), and he returned them because they were a bit bassy and he had a pair of eggos waiting for him, anyway. I returned them because the quasi-circumaural fit was very uncomfortable with my ears. Like everyone has said, they are very bassy, and you should go with the PX-100 if you want more balanced sound. If you think you'd have an issue with earcups that isolate by resting on your ears, go for the PX-100 or PortaPro (which has more bass, but not quite as much as the 212 Pro. I find it powerful but tight, personally).

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 42
Regarding your soundcard, I've heard good things about the Chaintech AV710, which I got for $27 shipped from newegg.com

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #18 of 42
Ok well I found the 212pros for 36 bucks online, with 17 shippin (yikes) however at the same place I found the MX-500s for 15 with free shipping. So I swung for both of them, (I like buds for walking to class, they are nice and compact) and it cost me 70 shipped (with 2 day air shipping). So hopefully later this week I will have some nice things to say!

Thanks a lot!

Also thanks for the reccomendation for the soundcard... I will invesitigate further!

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 42
Why on earth do so many people recommend the porto pros when they are so rediculously stupid looking and there are so many other models with the same drivers?
The ksc-75s are definitely the way to go imo. Same sound as the porto pros but not shockingly ugly.
Do NOT make the mistake of confusing a higher price with better sound quality. I like them better than my sr-60s and they are less than 1/4th the price.

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 42
The mx500s have great sound for earbuds but can't compare to the sound of the ksc75s for a portable headphone. They are the same price so I'd seriously consider changing yr order if at all possible.

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyjjy777
Do NOT make the mistake of confusing a higher price with better sound quality. I like them better than my sr-60s and they are less than 1/4th the price.

Well i had the ksc75 and i thought the same. Until one day i listened to my sr60's and i noticed "detail". But everybody has different opinions.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
jbloudg, don't buy the Chaintech AV710 soundcard for headphone listening unless you plan on buying a dedicated headphone amplifier as well. For speaker use it's fine, but the line-out is not meant for headphones.

Will the logitech Z-2300 speakers that I have, serve as an amplifier when I plug the headphones into the port on the controller? I am just wondering about this, that is why I mentioned what peakers I use, and where I plug my headphones into.

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyjjy777
Why on earth do so many people recommend the porto pros when they are so rediculously stupid looking and there are so many other models with the same drivers?
The ksc-75s are definitely the way to go imo. Same sound as the porto pros but not shockingly ugly.

Why on earth do so many people like __________ when they are so ___________ and there are ___________? Here's the answer: O _ I N I O N. You get three guesses and the first two don't count. And it's not "onion." In my humble O _ I N I O N, the PortaPros are dead sexy.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #25 of 42
I know I might be hung from the highest tree for this, but what about the Sony EX71/51's? They have a very fun sound to them, which IMO would fit well with rap. They'll block out some outside noise, won't irritate anyone around you, and work great portably. The common consensus is you either love 'em or hate 'em, but in this case I think they'd be good. And they're only ~$30 on Amazon.

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm confused by your post, have you heard the ksc-75?

No, I'm afraid not. You're right; I shouldn't make comments on a headphone's quality on limited hearsay.

I can comment on the MX-500's though. Solid, one of the better earbuds but I've always liked the MDR-888's better. I keep breaking 888's though.

Apr 11, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #27 of 42
Dude -- ur in college. Get some Grado SR-60's and be done with it. I used to have Omega II's and a KGSS and in many ways I liked these just as much, even unamped. U can save $20 more, man...do the ramen noodles thing for a week. U da man.

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 42
I second trying to scrounge up an extra $20 for some sr-60s and then just being done with it. However if that is an impossibility, I can heartily reccomend porta-pros which I have been using for awhile now.. I have ownd them and the Koss-55s clip ons. I have also heard the koss 75s and sony fontopias. I find the clip ons to be much less comfortable then the porta-pros. I am in college with a roomate also and he said that both the porta pros and clip ons did not leak noise signifcantly. Hope taht helps.

Apr 13, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #29 of 42
Well, I just got my Senns, and me being a classic "basshead" I'm really liking these headphones. They are the best pair I've owned yet, however I'm afraid to admit ive been reading these forums, and I'm sure I'll be buying another set of phones in the future.

Thanks for the reccomendations! I'll be getting my MX-400s this friday, well see how those turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back