Reccomendations for a college student
Apr 13, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
Well, I just got my Senns, and me being a classic "basshead" I'm really liking these headphones. They are the best pair I've owned yet, however I'm afraid to admit ive been reading these forums...

Enjoy the 212s
basshead.gif
. Enjoy the isolation.

Quote:

and I'm sure I'll be buying another set of phones in the future.

I'm afraid there's no avoiding it. If you're still here, it's too late =).

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyjjy777
Why on earth do so many people recommend the porto pros when they are so rediculously stupid looking and there are so many other models with the same drivers?

Take the SR40 and the SR60 for example. Same drivers, VERY different sound, due in large part to the different driver housings. The quality Grado cable also makes an improvement for the SR60, but the biggest change is from the cheap knockaround housing to the non-resonant ABS construction.

If the SR40's ever come back, I might consider getting some for my sister or maybe one of my friends for their birthday. It's either that or KSC50/55's.

etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

I'm really not sure, but I know the 400s dont have a volume control

OT: do you have an infiniti?

i wish, bwhaha. my online handle is usually infinity, but since it's so common i had to think of something else.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniti029
i wish, bwhaha. my online handle is usually infinity, but since it's so common i had to think of something else.

oh ok, just curious as that is my other big hobby.

My name is for the Infiniti G20 sitting in my driveway.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #36 of 42
Now if one of you guys got a m45(nissan Gloria y34) or Nissan Skyline, that would be something to really remind people you have in your driveway.

(I have no car at present, so I can't gloat... BUT I WANT A CATERHAM!!!)
etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #37 of 42
Ok so I've had the headphones for two days now... I think im alredy hearing some breakin. I'e been playing music through them straight since I got them.

Now I am comparing them to my older Radioshack Titanium headphones and my Sony MDR-G52 'streetstyle'.

Let me just say that until I listened to thses headphones.. I didt realize that some of my MP#'s were in 128k... some were even 96k!!!!

I was listening this morning, ans I was like wait this sounds like crap...
I go look , and it was in 96k.

I'm liking these, and I have quite a bug to buy a pair of Grado SR60s, and I'm looking to build a headamp.

Darn you guys!
280smile.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Darn you guys!
280smile.gif

MWA HA HA HA HA!
Rats off to ya...
All your wallet are belong to HeadFi...
etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #39 of 42
Luckily I dont think I'll go as far as to blow a few grand (I couldn't afford that anyway).

Does anyone know if my 212's would benefit from some amplification? I'm looking at building a CMOY and was wondering if it was worth it. Is there any other reccomendations for an amp? Looks like I'm gonna start saving!

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Does anyone know if my 212's would benefit from some amplification? I'm looking at building a CMOY and was wondering if it was worth it. Is there any other reccomendations for an amp? Looks like I'm gonna start saving!

I'd say go for it- I wish I could build a CMOY, but I suck at soldering. But if you can get an amp, building it yourself will save yourself some real bucks, and that's the best route to go, IMO. It'll come in handy if you get any cans superior to the HD212's in the future, since alot of cans north of the SR60 really start sounding their best with an amp, even if the resistance dictates no volume increase, like high end Grado's.

500 posts! Giggitygiggitygiggitygiggity...Boomshakalakalakabo omshakalakalakaboomshakalakalaka Aaaaaalll riiiiiiiight...

~Abe

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #41 of 42
Cool, thanks for the replies.

I am going to save up my cash this Summer, and buy the best set of Grados I can afford. I am really looking at soem SR80 or 125s. Somehting that will have a completely different sound than my 212s.

I've been listening to my MX400s. They dont sound bad for ear buds.

I will be builting the CMOY this summer as well. I am pretty confident with my soldering/schematic skills so I'm not the least bit worried.

Apr 17, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #42 of 42
I've actually been getting more into my SR125's and found a killer combination: SR125's + 414 VWAP pads. All the warmth and punch taken away from the cans by the bowls is back, but the sound is still a little harsh compared to the ultimate smoothness of the flat pads. You can get a similar effect out of the SR60's though, and personally, I'd pick them over the SR125's if required to choose.
With the money you'd save by buying the SR60 over the 125's, you could build a maxed out CMOY or a nice Mint.

In any case, happy listening
rs1smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back