Reccomend me some New Wave music
Jul 6, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #16 of 37
Absolutely essential and available today are
The Police (anything).
The Cure( my favorite CD: Boys don't cry),
The Talking Heads("Stop making sense" at the top),
Devo(especially their cover version of "Satisfaction" , original by The Stones)
Did I mention The Police?
What I can add to what's recommended by others here are
Joy Division, but only one song per day.
The singer committed suicide.
Though I'm an admirer of consequent artists I don't want to end the same way.Very depressive.
And
Young Marble Giants.I'd call their sub-genre Minimal New Wave.
And don't forget to listen to The Police.

Jul 6, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 37
Get a satellite radio and tune into the '80s channel.

You'll get all you want (and then some).

No flames, please...

Hey, I really like this stuff!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
oh no! not them!
biggrin.gif
another bad creation indeed...

the ABC fewtch is mentioning hails from Sheffield, England.

Yeah, but it was funny... I believe I was around 12-13 when Another Bad Creation came out and so when Fewtch mentioned ABC I thought of them rather than the English group... I knew he wasn't talking about them but it made me laugh so I posted it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Yeah, but it was funny... I believe I was around 12-13 when Another Bad Creation came out and so when Fewtch mentioned ABC I thought of them rather than the English group... I knew he wasn't talking about them but it made me laugh so I posted it.
biggrin.gif

ha ha, i think we're about the same age... i remember when Another Bad Creation came out, all the cool kids in Junior High were listening to them. i distinctively remember one incident when me and my friend Brian were hanging out in the pool hall when Another Bad Creation came on, and this "cool" kid were singing/rapping and dancing along to it. we couldn't stop rolling on the floor laughing! a manufactured kiddie group led by Bell Biv Devoe, who'da thunk it!

anyway, back on track... this thread got me thinking about some various new wavey stuff i have in my cassette storage box, and the first thing that came to mind was Information Society's "What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)." anyone remember that one? that was a great song... gotta go dig that up now...

Jul 7, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
i have 2 song recommendations that are hard to find.

1) more to lose - by seona dancing
2) two rivers - by the adventurers

others songs :
1) german girl - lotus eaters
2) first picture of you - lotus eaters
3) wishful thinking - china crisis
4) state of the nation - industry
5) the more you live the more you love - flock of seagulls
6) feels like heaven - fiction factory
7) the promise- when in rome

Man, hard to find is exactly what they are.
The only song from your list I could find stored on my harddiscs (20000+ songs) is "Wishful thinking".
None of the other songs except the Flock of Seagulls is listed at my download service or available via my metropolitan library.
Seems that you are a collector of rare songs.

Jul 7, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Man, hard to find is exactly what they are.
The only song from your list I could find stored on my harddiscs (20000+ songs) is "Wishful thinking".
None of the other songs except the Flock of Seagulls is listed at my download service or available via my metropolitan library.
Seems that you are a collector of rare songs.

those days were when i was a teen and growing up - im now 34 years old and it is nice to listen and bring back memories.

i have quite a few rare cd's that are now out of print.

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #25 of 37
Hello, New Wave/Synthpop/Technopop is the devil. It possessed me in 1987 and fought with Jazz for my soul ever since. When I want to chill, Jazz is the way to go (unless you are listening to Forever Young by Alphaville, or Somebody by Depeche Mode, or Only You by Yaz (or Yazoo, but NOT "Yazz" - ugh, 'The Only Way is Up' was schlock, but I digress) but New Wave is great for mindless souless entertainment in all other circumstances.

The Smiths. But not Morrisey's solo stuff please. Johnny Marr's guitar work is amazing here, and if you like his stuff, listen to "Nothing but Flowers" by the Talking Heads - Johnny does the guitar work and solo in it. Also check out the band "Electronic" which has Marr on Guitar, and Bernard Sumner from New Order. Their first album had Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys helping out (Listen to "Disappointed" as a single off the "Cool World" soundtrack too) but I think their best album was the second one - "Raise the Pressure," especially the song "For You." Very catchy in a zone out way.

OMD/Orchestral Maneouvres in the Dark. Actually, I really like the album "Sugar Tax" even though by this time the original band split up and it was just Humphries singing to himself. But for the real deal sampling, get the "Best of" album.

All derivations out of Vince Clarke's head. Depeche Mode ("Just can't get enough"), Yaz or Yazoo ("Only you"), Erasure (Just buy the newest compliation, "HITS!") but I don't suggest The Assembly with Feagal Sharkey - "Never Never" bit gorilla balls.

And yes, you must listen to Joy Division in small doses - buy "Permanent" - it's a nice clean remaster of their more popular stuff, with one awful remake of "Love will tear us apart" - listen to the original version on the album instead. Then move on to New Order for a bit happier dancy feel. Power Corruption and Lies is great for the earlier "band" sounding stuff, and "Substance" puts all their long form singles together for the electronic buzz. If you want to hear a good mix of the two styles, check out "Technique" which was the first album after they put out the "Substance" greatest hits.

The Cure is a must listen. "Staring at the Sea" is what i recommend, just a greatest hits sampling of their stuff. Then I would buy the "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" and "Disintegration" albums, and maybe a few tracks off their later stuff. "Wish" and "Friday I'm in Love" aren't SO bad. If you can find it somewhere, the 12" New Vocal Club Mix of "Boys don't cry" really brings me back, but beware, it's very "in the times" and a bit outdated.

The other random tunes out there like "The Promise" by When in Rome or "Living in Oblivion" by Anything Box, "Perfect Way" by Scritti Politti, or anything by Alphaville, or Bronski Beat/The Communards (Jimmy Sommerville sings in falsetto) or of course, Soft Cell ("Tainted Love") are all worth a listen. There are tons of one hit wonders and singles out there, but the main groups I listed have albums that can stand on their own, and I would suggest a whole moment for them versus just tossing them in a "NOW! New Wave!" compilation.

Jul 9, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #26 of 37
great post Jahn!
smily_headphones1.gif
but post break up Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark was Andy McCluskey, not Paul Humphreys.
tongue.gif
Paul left OMD with Mal Holmes and Martin Cooper to form The Listening Pool. Paul wanted the OMD name as three OMD members left, but Andy bought the rights to the name, and Virgin Records wanted it that way as Andy was the lead singer anyway. i know... i'm an OMD nut! anyway... Sugar Tax was a great album, chock full of memorable melodies and dancable hits. it was surprising that it was such a success since back in 1991 synth-pop became out of fashion. what's even more surprising was that it easily outsold their classic album Architecture and Morality. but for post break-up OMD, i prefer Liberator since the music is a bit more challenging than on Sugar Tax.

great comments on Electronic. the first album is a classic, featuring Johnny Marr's signature guitar riffing on a few tracks, and a whole bunch of memorable songs. i think the first album was much better than New Order's Republic that came shortly afterwards. too bad "Disappointed" wasn't included on the album, or else it would've made one hell of a classic album. other songs like "Get The Message," "Getting Away With It," "Patience of a Saint," and "Some Distant Memory" are just as good. Raise the Pressure was good also, but definately struggles between the dancey beats with more traditional rock based songs. to me it seems like a mish-mash of ideas. but there's still a buch of good stuff here like "Forbidden City," "For You," "Second Nature," "Dark Angel," and "Until the End of Time." i think the third album Twisted Tenderness was everything Raise the Pressure tried to be, a seamless fusion of rock and electronic. the songs are decidedly edgy, confident, and aggressive. it makes a great blueprint for New Order's Get Ready album.

i also second Yaz(oo). Upstairs at Eric's is a synth-pop must have, as well as Soft Cell's Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret.

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 37
ah! i always forget which guy broke off OMD to form...OMD. thanks for the clear-up! and yep Electronic is great, for 3 albums they really differ alot - the 1st is really a classic 80's technopop tour de force, the 2nd album trying to find a new voice, and the 3rd a nice settling in on their decided path. i agree that the electronic albums measure up well to the post-Technique New Order albums - maybe Bernard was trying a bit harder for his efforts away from the band? I know Revenge wasn't as popular, poor Hooky, but Monaco wasn't bad - because it was JUST like New Order lol. The Other Two is nice on sunny days too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back