Reccomend me a soldering iron
May 24, 2007 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
A while ago, I bought a cheapie $7.99 radioshack soldering iron... back when I was still experimenting. However, the tip is fairly well corroded, and opposed to replacing it, I figured it would be better to just get a decent iron now that I am getting more into making stuff.

So, I could use with some recommendations. I don't want to spend over $50, but I want something worth a damn. Can it be done for that much?

May 24, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 37
May 24, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just buy a new tip

are there perhaps better quality tips that I can use with this iron. Once I started using cardas, this tip corroded very quickly. I don't want to keep having to buy new ones.

May 24, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 37
May 24, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this one and it's pretty good imo. I also got the 1/8" chisel tip for making cables.

http://www.mpja.com/viewallpict.asp?dept=461&main=79

That one looks pretty nice. I do like the base, as well as the various tips.

Out of curiously though, what is the benefit of having adjustable wattage? I would have no idea what would be the ideal setting for my application.

May 24, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 37
my friend had a Cold Heat explode onto his arm while he was working at Radioshack and the pieces got embedded into his arm. Ouch

May 24, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my friend had a Cold Heat explode onto his arm while he was working at Radioshack and the pieces got embedded into his arm. Ouch

Youch. Wouldn't want to do that.

I wouldn't want a coldheat anyways. Seems far to bulky to be making cables and such with.

May 24, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 37
Hi, I don't mean to be an ass but you should use the forum search feature as there is no way you will receive as many quality comprehensive answers as have already been given in past threads about finding a good solder iron per any particular budget.

May 24, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 37
maybe a sticky for the best soldering irons in each price range?

May 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 37
The problem with a sticky is there is not necessarily a "best" per price, that the unique aspects differentiating them could be applicable to your unique needs. Or to put it another way, not everyone agrees on best per price. If you just want a brand name which is very popular: Hakko. If you can't achieve equally good results with several other brands instead it probably wasn't the iron's fault, but generally the easy answer is avoid the lowest-end junk from Radio Shack et al which only use a straight and slim, threaded nickel plated nail type of tip.

May 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...If you just want a brand name which is very popular: Hakko.

mono is right as usual, I bought the 936 and its a very good iron...

May 24, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 37
The brand Weller does awesome solder irons. If you can find them, check 'em out! One thing you should remember is to tin your tip after every soldering and let it stay there. Then when you are ready to solder again just rub it against a half-wet sponge to get it of. That way the tip won't corrode.

/Chopha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back