Reccomend me a book to read :)
May 12, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #16 of 93
canticle.jpg

My favourite book.

May 12, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #17 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've probably already read LOTR.

I am on the second book of His Dark Materials - better than the first of which i was not too fond. I had a hard time getting into it. And some of the writing just did not flow for me.

Yeah I agree. IMO, the first two books (especially the first) are really just setting the scene and getting ready for the final book, which is what makes the series IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
based on the specific description of what you liked in the His Dark Materials trilogy- I demand that you bump all other suggestions behind and grab the first book of

The Wheel of Time (series)

by Robert Jordan

The first book is called The Eye of The World

Best literature I have ever read. Incredible writing capabilities.. consideration and foresight.. and sheer know-how. It's original 'epic' fantasy. I don't even know where to begin on spamming you with why you should check this series out. If the first book snags you- score. You then have 12 or 13 other books (there is a prequel, and the final book is prolonged because the author died during it- but! he left very detailed notes over the course of days, with his wife, who was his editor for every single novel before then. It will come.)

They're about a thousand pages each.. paperback. So, if you get hooked, you're really in for a long and masterful treat.

I beg you to check this series out.

Yeah, I read the first one. For some reason it didn't strike me as being THAT good. I liked it sure, it was a good read. Really good. Better than average. It just didn't have the deepness of Philip Pullmans trilogy. It was good fantasy, but nothing more. I could also imagine it would get kinda samey with that many books. Dunno though. I might pick up the 2nd book. Is it that related to the 1st one? I've mostly forgotten everything about the 1st...

I'll be sure to check out Dune as I have heard alot about that.

May 12, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 93
enders game was a good book, but absolutely hated the one that came after it

as for the wheel of time series-

yes, the second book is that related.. they are all one book. this is why i said "interwoven." they really are one book.. and you'll find in later reading that in order for this to have happened, it must have been in mind frlom book 1 or 3, even though it is happening in book 7

what you've read isn't really one book, but one 13th of a book

May 12, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #20 of 93
check out some murakami; i really enjoyed a lot of his books, even though they are pretty similar
biggrin.gif

kafka on the shore is a nice way to start

May 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 93
Quote:

Vonnegut

Fantastic taste. I read Slaughterhouse 5 when I was around 14, it's truly a great book. God Bless You, Mr Rosewater is another great one.

I personally didn't like Wheel of Time series, but that's just personal preference. It seemed that his writing was drawn out and insipid, to me.

Quote:

Wizard of Earthsea

Another fantastic series. They're definitely well within your age bracket, too. Tombs of Atuan was my favourite of the book. Apparently there's more than the trilogy out there, but I really don't want to read them - The Farthest Shore just ended it so succinctly for me, that was all I needed. It's sort of like the Matrix sequels - they seem superfluous.

Another book that I'd like to recommend is the Elric of Melnibone series, by Michael Moorcock - this book is fantastic, and really shakes up the fantasy genre by making the protagonist an antagonist of sorts. Moorcock is great, I advise his other books too.

May 12, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vonnegut.

Second that Vonnegut is my favorite author. I am one or two books away from finishing all his books. Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, Welcome to the Monkey House, Sirens of Titan they are all good. Just pick up any one.

May 12, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vonnegut.

Agreed. His writing is like a drug. Read Cat's Cradle or really any of his books and you will be wanting more and more.

May 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #25 of 93
Most any book that is NONFICTION.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back