Recabling vintage Sennheiser headphones
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Lurkumaural

1000+ Head-Fier
Someone here said to not replace the steel cable on an old Senn.  I don't recall reading the reason for this, and I viewed the thread yesterday.  I also saw this morning that someone else said the steel cable is microphonic.  And I'm pretty sure I read that the steel cable was introduced for the purpose of physical robustness in professional environments.

Can anyone weigh in?  What do I have to consider if I have, say a 2 kOhm HD 4XX(xx)* that could use a new or otherwise better cable?

I've done a few different permutations of search strings here and on the googles, trying to read as much as I can before asking questions.  Now I'm asking.

Also, does anyone besides Cardas have the spade plugs for Sennheiser headphones, short of buying an entire headphone assembly or replacement cable?  Is there a better or more accurate way to describe these connector pieces?

* I'm using wildcards for part numbers because I'm trying to find and restore a few different models.  Sorry about my wallet!

Any helpful discourse is very much appreciated.  I should be getting my first pair of Senns today or tomorrow.  They're probably older than I am by a couple of years, and I'm quite excited.

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
What headphones are you writing about? Some headphones are easier to recable than others.

My next pair is HD 424X.  I'm on the hunt for some white(ish) 414 among others.

I just realized these cans are NOT a couple of years older than I am.  *withers*

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 7
If the condition is good build quality should not be an issue. I gave away my HD425-13 since it had no use for me. It had the same type of connectors for the ear cups the HD265/565/580 etcetera had, only slightly larger. Maybe the newer cables fit...

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 7
414 and 424 cables are directly replacable with 580/600/650 cables.

The steel cables certainly have a sound. Try it a couple ways....

In the past I have read posts saying that the steel somehow works with the old headphones.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Great information, thank you both.

But seeing as this is the DIY forum, what should I think about when making my own?  Let's assume I know how, on a basic level.  I am shopping for Mogami MQ and/or bulk SPC.

I'd have to buy Cardas HPSC for the headphone-side terminations, unless there's another source for these?  I could try to salvage cables that people are throwing away (e.g. if the equipment-side plug is bad, or the darn cat chewed the insulation, or something) and harvest the spade connectors?  Any other wisdom that would prevent me from oversimplifying or even complicating the cable job?  Especially if I'm not willing to spend what folks are charging for an HD 600 cable?

I'm loving the whole vintage thing so far; it's an adventure to find an old set of headphones for a steal.  Maybe they're deteriorated and time basically ate them.  Maybe they're in great shape.  Maybe they never sounded good to begin with.  Maybe I'll find a Monitor 10 on eBay that everyone's not elbowing each other for (yeah right).  What's great about this subset of the hobby is that people are willing to write off, and even part with, pieces that carry so much history in their personal lives, or even (in the case of the HD 414) the audiophile industry at large.  Someone like me can pick up these gems, buff them, and enjoy them for their quality, their novelty, or their profitability.

The point of my short rant is that I have to be prepared, with every vintage purchase, to fix or replace any component in these devices; anything and everything can be broken on these relics, especially at my chosen price points.

Someone here nabbed a beautiful old Zenith headphone, put some orthos in it, and basically made it a new animal in an old body, with a modern cable job and everything.  Lovely idea.  I have to be able to take that approach so I don't buy a dud and call it one.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 7
I can confirm that the 650 cables plug straight into a set of 414's.  Tight fit in the newer black driver, but fits easily into the white driver (yes my set has had one of the drivers replaced)

First time I've listened to the 414's in a long time.  Damm they sound fantastic for their age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back