Recabling the T1 ...
Jul 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

downsize

Member of the Trade
Has anyone had any success with recabling the T1 yet ?   The ONLY con I have read about the T1, is nearly everyone mentions a slight warmth, or lushness to the sound. I personally believe the culprit to be the heavy insulation on the cable, and the quality of the conductors themselves.

I hope this question is appropriate here. I figured this would be the forum with most of the T1 owners on it, and that most owners on this forum could, and may afford the high end recables. Feel free to remove it if I assumed wrong.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 26

Quote:
Has anyone had any success with recabling the T1 yet ?   The ONLY con I have read about the T1, is nearly everyone mentions a slight warmth, or lushness to the sound. I personally believe the culprit to be the heavy insulation on the cable, and the quality of the conductors themselves.

I hope this question is appropriate here. I figured this would be the forum with most of the T1 owners on it, and that most owners on this forum could, and may afford the high end recables. Feel free to remove it if I assumed wrong.

I love the T1 as is. I think they are very transparent with both the Matrix and my newly acquired Decware CSP-2. I would not spend any money to recable as even Ken at ALO has stated the T1 cable is very high quality.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 26
It is a personal preference to recable as with any cabling, it can be very subjective.  For me, I did recable my T1 immediately to balance and with the Zeus Helix 24.  I didn't spend much time with them when I got them so I can't compare them with the stock cable but I do know with the Zeus Helix I have not heard a better balance headphone.  Everything is just right.  At CanJam 2010 I spend time with a recabled HD800 but wasn't impressed compared to my T1s.  

The downside of recabling the T1 is the cable is not detachable so if you recable you are making a commitment unless you can do everything yourself.  I can't so finding someone you trust is important as well in the process. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 26
I re-cabled my T1 with the Zeus Quad 24 OCC copper cable due to the fact my dog chewed the original.  Robert at Aphrodite CU29 did a great job and had quick turn-around tim

I am not a believer in cables changing sound and since I could not do a double blind test I will not say the new cable sounds better.  It is much lighter and looks way cooler.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 26
Haha
wink_face.gif
!

Lighter is good.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 26
My T1 were the first ones re-cabled by Robert with the Zeus cable (they are the ones in his webiste pictures). I was about to give up on the T1 because to my taste they were a little bit on the bright side (Stevem324 and I did an A/B comparison stock agaist Black Dragon) and also the soundstage was not very holographic and a little bit compressed in hight.

Robert convinced me to give him the chance to re-cable them. Now with the Zeus is at par with my DHC Complement HD800.
I have re-cabled several headphones like Edition 9, HD650, K340, D200, Quart Phone 85 but probably the T1 are the ones that IMO benefit the most.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
I will simply NEVER understand how anyone could consider the T1 bright ....

^ Amen.

I have recently changed my interconnects from the copper Kimber Heros /w WBT connectors to the Kimber Silver Streak /w WBT RCA connectors and while they weren't as warm, they were still NOT bright in anyway.

I guess if you're coming from really warm headphones, balanced sounds bright or cold?

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
^ Amen.

I have recently changed my interconnects from the copper Kimber Heros /w WBT connectors to the Kimber Silver Streak /w WBT RCA connectors and while they weren't as warm, they were still NOT bright in anyway.

I guess if you're coming from really warm headphones, balanced sounds bright or cold?

Ya know ... I have to respectfully wonder if the people who call the T1 bright, probably have a system that tends to be bright, and the T1's amazing ability to tattle tell on a system isn't revealing those traits ?

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Wouldn't that just require termination, rather than re-cabling?

Sure it would suffice. Actually, I've been testing such re-terminated T1's and the cut off part of the cable is equipped with XLR sockets to form an XLR to 1/4" jack adapter.

Quote:
I will simply NEVER understand how anyone could consider the T1 bright ....

Nor will I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back