Recabling the DT150's
Jun 15, 2009 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

adalyan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have recently got a pair of Beyer DT150 from a trade with a fellow head-fier.

These cans are really great. They are the closest that I have heard to a speaker setup. I am not crazy about the cable. I think an improvement in both SQ and practicality can be achieved with a recable.

Do you know how I can go about doing this? Does Beyer have a better, softer cable that I can use? Are there aftermarket cables that may yield better results?

Thanks in advance...

Ahmet

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 6
Beyer themselves only makes the stock one, and a coiled one with a 6.3 mm plug.

I know a head-fi member once got a pair with a cable from Soloz(Soloz Audio > Home), you might want to investigate that option further.

If you do find a good alternative, please let me know as I've been interested in this as well, but have limited funds for a recable atm.

m

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks,
I have sent them an email. I will keep you posted. I am liking the DT150's more and more. There is a certain quality to the sound that I can't really describe. The feeling that I get is like listening to a 'vintage' Marantz receiver. Very organic and believable...

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Recabling the DT150 are very easy since the soldering ports for the drivers can be accessed very easily on the side of the body(it's the panel with the one screw). I will be recabling my DT150 next week when i finish my exams.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Sorry for necroing this thread, I thought the DT150's cable was detachable? And if so, what kind of plug does it have? Proprietary or is it something you can easily get a cable for?

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 6
I believe it is proprietary.  All of the Beyers in the DT100/150/250 series have the ability to be used as headsets as well with a microphone connector, and the six pin plug can be used for both types of cables.  You can get unterminated cables from Beyerdynamic.  I know some people have done more extensive modding on theirs, so it must be at least possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back