Recabling SR60s
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Czyrix

New Head-Fier
I sadly had my brand new (3 days of use) pair of SR60s snapped on me when lending them to a friend (though its my fault also but I won't get into that). I have no soldering experience, and a bit of a limited budget, where could I start for attempting to recable these? Would it be cheaper to just buy a new pair? I feel it'd be a shame to waste these... The cable broke around a foot under the y-spiltter, I don't know if that could be saved or will I have to recable all the way to each driver?
mailgooglecomkv9.jpg

Sorry for the small picture but I don't have access to a camera other than my phone right now... I'm at a complete loss right now, so any advice would be warmly accepted.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 11
You could solder a new connector where it snapped, but I guess the cable will be too short.

You can just change the cable, wont be too expensive. just got buy a some quad cable (they are available at stores that sell microphones guitars, etc..), and a connector.

You can run a search and see how to open the Grado, there's a thread about it. The soldering itself is quite easy on the headphones, so no reason to be affraid, it can all be fixed.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet.
wink.gif

Shame they broke, they're a great gateway drug to high-end audio.
tongue.gif
Now since we're all very evil here and want you to really be sorry for your wallet, shoot me a PM and I'll recable them for you at a the price of shipping back, hate to see a nice pair of headphones broken so soon.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perfect opportunity to add a mini plug and make it into a ultra-short-cabled portable phone.

add a short 3' extension cable, then it will also work great for home/desktop purpose.

That way you don't even have to open up the ear cups
smily_headphones1.gif

Just what I had in mind, Czyrix, send me the headphones, I'll recable them for free, just pay for shipping back, you'll have a nice deal.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 11
^^^^

wow what a great board... some headfi love here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back